Chapter 20 Surprise

I woke up to Bethany frantically shaking me.
"Adaline! Wake up! I can't control this!" She screamed in pure terror.
"Can't control what?" I asked, still half asleep.
"All I did was sneeze, then I tried to stop it and I made it worse and I don't know how to stop it!" She cried.
I sat up and looked around the room. On one side the room was burning down, and on the other it was a frozen water land. I concentrated, and sent a wave of water from my hands at the fire. Then I slowly melted the other side.
"Thanks," Bethany said embarrassed
"Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it sooner or later." I replied. "now where is Kya?"
"I don't know, I woke and she was gone," she replied.
"Oh no," I said as rushed out the door. I looked down the hallways but she wasn't there. I raced down the stairs and couldn't find her. I had to of searched the whole hotel and still couldn't find her.

As I got back up to my door, Shar was walking out of his room.
"Hey, Bethany told me about her powers, illijah said he thinks she still has another, did you talk to Kya at all today?" Shar asked.
"Can't find her," I said worried.
"She's probably already at the park, I told her yesterday that's where we were going to train and stuff." he said shrugging. " I'm going there right now, I'll see you there,"
I walked into my room and got ready. I put on some blue jeans and a t-shirt.

When I arrived at the park I found that Kya had been there, still grumpy as usual. I wondered if she knew about Bethany's powers yet. She was sitting a few feet away from where the rest of the group was standing. she was growing small trees, setting them a blaze, then putting them out with water. Shar seemed to be instructing illijah and Bethany.

I walked over to the three and they all said hi before going back to what they were talking about before.
"You can help with controlling the ice since Adaline is just about the best fire keeper we have had." Shar explained to illijah. "We can worry about her other power after she learns to control the two she already has, ill go help Kya with her fire since she really doesn't need much help," he said.
"So, what power do you want to start with?" Illijah asked cheerfully.
"Ice, the fire scares me," she said.
"Okay cool, so first things first, when you first discovered your ice power what where you thinking and what did you do?" He asked.
"I was thinking about my brother, he disappeared when we were eight, we were twins,it made me sad. Then I rolled my fingers off my palm, and then it happened. it's strange because although I remember my brother I can't remember what he looked like, and we seem to have no pictures of him." Bethany said, tears welling up in her eyes.
Before she knew it the ground around her was starting to freeze, and her fingertips had flurries of snowflakes dancing in little circles. she scrunched up her hand, and rolled out her fingers releasing the snow and freezing a tree that was a few feet from where her outstretched arm was pointing.
"That was good," illijah said with a smile.
"Very good, I'm going to go talk to Shar for a minute, you two keep practicing that and we will do fire when I'm back," I said with a grin.

I walked up to Shar and asked if I could speak with him for a minute. he agreed and we walked for a little ways until we were out of hearing distance.
"How's Bethany doing?" He asked.
"Really good, although she just told us a really sad story." I replied
"About what?"
"She had a twin brother, disappeared when they were only eight," I said.
"Oh," he said looking uncomfortable.
"Something wrong?"
"Oh no, it's just um, sad," he said nervously.
"Something's up. tell me," I demanded.
"Ferox.... He's Bethany's brother." he said.
"What?" I said shocked.
"I'm not supposed to talk about the past lives of others."
"Why? You have to tell her, she been so sad since he left." I couldn't believe they were really brother and sister, she was so sweet, and he was an out of control maniac.
"I don't want to  talk about it, it's complicated."
"Just tell her he was her brother!" I practically shouted.
"But the council, they don't want her to remember," he sad sadly.
"Who cares? You are the council! If you don't tell her I will," I said.
"Alright fine, I will later for now she needs to think about her powers and that only. she's powerful, she's like our mom. Except their mom never could handle her powers quite right." he said.
"Let me just say that you council people knowing about our whole past life is freaky."
"I don't know much about yours, it's fuzzy, sometimes I see you and another girl, other times I see you and five others who look really familiar. It's strange..." He looked baffled so decided to end the conversation with
"Ill go help her with fire," and walked back to Bethany.

I walked back over to Bethany and illijah and smiled and waved.
"Ready to work with fire?" I said.
"Not really, but I have to try," she said, looking for confidence.
"Okay, you need to explain what happened just like with the ice," I said
"Well, I was thinking about how much I hated Kya, and then I started getting angrier and angrier. Then the flames started to spark at my fingertips, they surged up arms and I felt my body temperature rising. it scared me. Then I flicked my hand to the side just as I was sneezing and that's how the whole fire in the room started."
"Wait,what fire?" illijah asked confused.
"It's not important right now," I replied. "Just try to do what you did earlier, just without the sneeze,"
I stood and watched as the flames flared upon her fingers, then raced up to her fore arms. She reached out her arm and flicked her wrist. A wave of fire flew through the air before hitting and burning a tree to ashes.
"Very good, just make sure if you ever start to get the powers and you don't want them, take deep breaths, and imagine them disappearing," I said
"That's the hard part," illijah said, "so work on starting your powers and trying to stop them instead of releasing them for awhile,"

After hours of trying, she still hadn't got it. so we decided to come back again tomorrow.

I never thought I could wake up, to something so gruesome.