Chapter 13

Ch. 13

A series of emotions flickers across her face in a little less than two seconds. First shock, confusion, and then anger. I had known that she would feel these things. But what surprised me most was the sadness, the tenderness in her eyes. Pity for me falling under the Careers' (possible) trap. And, most clearly, betrayal burns in her misty gray eyes. I know why. Me.

I don't think that she knows that I noticed her. Good.

I'm snapped back into reality by Cato. "Go on then, Lover Boy," he sneers icily. "See for yourself."

I can tell that he doubts me, I can hear it in his voice. Usually, he would have been right to doubt me, for I'm not one to kill for sport. But with Katniss's life on the line, I'm willing to do this. Besides, giving this poor, pitiful creature death would be a gift to her at this point, right?

Okay, I can do this. Maybe. No, of course I can't. She's just a little girl! How am I supposed to murder a little girl? I take a deep breath to calm myself. Unwillingly, my mind wanders to the girl's family, as they watch me. Watch me murder their child. They will loathe me with all of their hearts, vow to seek revenge. On her death. Death by me.

I study her features closely as I slowly draw nearer. She has long golden hair that falls long and curly down her neck, bloody from her wound. Small nose. Closed eyes. A moan escapes her thin lips as she cries softly, tears streaming down her cheeks, playing dead to maybe have a chance. I know that this child has no chance anymore. She's a goner. The least that I can do for her is put her out of her misery.

"I'm sorry," I whisper to her sadly.

She finds the strength to shake her head softly. "Don't be," she splutters, whimpering. "Pl-please, just... Just make it quick."

I nod, on the verge of tears. I pull the knife from my belt loop and draw it slowly, and then shoving it with force into her heart. Her eyes bug out of their sockets and I think I see a smile in the edge of her lips. I take a step back, shocked at her happiness, as her blood dribbles down her shirt and onto my shoes.

But I have no time to think. I can't stay stationary for long. I walk back over to the Careers, visibly shaken. They see me coming and quiet their hushed conversation. Probably about killing me, again, or something.

"Was she dead?" Cato asks.

"No," I say, trying to sound bold and heroic. But how heroic is a murderer, watching the bodies of the innocent fall at his feet? "But she is now. Ready to move on?"

The girl's cannon fires, right on cue.

We scramble together our things and move out, just as dawn is breaking across the horizon. As we run back towers the lake, I don't even need to look back to know that Katniss is sitting there, or dangling there, in her tree, gawking at me for killing that little girl. That bold girl, who smiled at death as it welcomed her in. It takes a real warrior to know that death is certainly a gift. I think the girl's name was Starlet, although I'm not sure. Hm. Starlet. Interesting. Well, the name suits her.

We walk in awkward silence for most of the trip back, but maybe it's better that way. Not speaking. I don't want to get too close to anyone, because in the end, they will die, and so will I. I don't want to go through any unnecessary emotions in these games. Too painful. Well, I guess it's too late for Marvel and I to not be friends. We have sort of an unspoken friendship now, I suppose, after our conversation last night. At least I have something in common with one of the Careers; I guess it's alright that I'm not the only odd man out.

It's about midmorning when my stomach is screaming at me for food. Oh. Right. I had forgotten to eat last night. I eagerly reach into the back of my pack for the pack of nuts, and feel around. I can't find it, so I begin to raid it aggressively, my natural instincts for survival taking over. I accidentally jab myself with the pointed end of my knife, and I yelp involuntarily, making Glimmer jump. She may be a Career, but she scares pretty easily at the stupidest things.