Chapter 5

Ch. 5

We take the elevator into the training center and are escorted to our rooms, but not before Effie has to gush all over us about our performance and costumes. She's also been talking to all of her little Capitol friends to try and get us sponsors.

"I've been very mysterious, though," she says, squinting at us. "Because, of course, Haymitch hasn't bothered to tell me your strategies. But I've done my best with what I had to work with. How Katniss sacrificed herself for her sister. How you've both successfully struggled over the barbarism of your district." I grimace. Barbarism? That doesn't sound quite like us. Sure, we're hungry and in poverty, but only because the Capitol has driven us to it. If anyone was barbaric, it would be the Capitol.

"Everyone has their reservations, naturally. You being from the coal district. But I said, and this was very clever of me, I said 'Well, if you put enough pressure on coal, it turns to pearls!'" Effie seems so proud of herself, but it really isn't all that clever. And I learned in school that coal doesn't turn to pearls, anyways. I don't want to burst her bubble or anything, so I don't comment. "Unfortunately, I can't seal the sponsor deals for you. Only Haymitch can do that." She grimaces, as if she felt left out of such a special privilege. I really don't see what's so exciting about sitting in a room, saying commands into a microphone all day watching kids hack each other up. "But don't worry, I'll get him to the table at gunpoint if necessary."

We are taken to our sleeping quarters, and it is much fancier than the tribute train, if that's even possible. My room is about the size of the entire bakery itself, and just looking at how many buttons are on these walls makes me dizzy.

I decide to take a shower, since it's been a while since I've washed myself. I've never had a shower in my life, so in the end I get several red burn marks from the steamy jets of water. I fiddle with all of the controls until I find one that makes me smell good, really good, like the kind of strawberries we used to pick in the meadow to make into pies and cakes when my brothers and I were kids. Like a safe haven, it reminds me of home.

In my towel, I strut over to the closet and program it for something as me-ish as possible, and soon someone knocks on my door.

"Effie?" I call out, thinking that it's her, calling me to dinner or something. Good. I'm starving. I haven't eaten since I first met Portia, so I could eat a cow.

"No, Peeta, it's Cinna," a voice says in a Capitol accent. I wonder what he wants me for.

"Sure. Come in."

The door clicks open and Cinna strides in. "Did I interrupt anything?" He asks, eying the stack of books on my bed.

"No, not really. What is it?"

"Come here. I've got to show you something."

I hop off my bed and he guides me over to the next hall. He starts up a staircase, and I notice that it's really cold. We end up on the roof of the training center, and I'm shocked that we're allowed up here.

"Do you like it?" He questions me.

"Wow... It's... So... So amazing..." I breathe. All of the shimmering lights flash below us in what looks like a party, and I can see everything. It smells like food is being cooked in some of the buildings below, so it makes my mouth water. It's so beautiful, I can't even put a word to it. "Won't tributes try to jump off of it, though?" I ask. "To escape being in the games?"

"No," he says simply, and sticks his finger into open air. Some kind of force field zaps his finger and he yanks it back. There is a long moment of silence.