Chapter 15 The Portals of Transcension

Chapter15  The Portals of Transcension.

Anmar spoke to Fearic again. 'Why are the children here? This is no time for reunions my friend, we are in a desperate situation without any added complications.'

Fearic placed a reassuring hand on Fred's shoulder. 'It wasn't my doing my friend but Derenby visited the children's dimension again and.. well let's talk about it later, we have more pressing matters to address .'

Anmar strode over to Fred and sinking to his knees gave him a reassuring hug. 'Excuse my outburst, it's good to see you both but I wish we were meeting in better times'.

Fred grinned back at the Elvanol and then with a more serious look said 'I'm so sorry to see you in this situation. It must be frustrating to be trapped like this without any idea how to get out'.

The Elisive interrupted 'We must move along now Anmar. I believe that it would be useful if you could take your friends through the gates of the Paradox and explain to them your exact situation as best you can. I would add that in the greater scheme of things, you may find that the children might turnout to be an advantage rather than a problem.'

Anmar paused for a moment and with a puzzled look said 'Okay let's do that. I hope someone can come up with a solution that would help us put this terrible situation back to normal.'

The avatar continued now 'I will accompany you through the portals and offer any advice or suggestions within my capabilities'.

The Journeyman agreed 'I suggest we take my ship and Anmar can talk me

through the portals and explain to us the Elvanols' current situation.'

Leaving Anmar behind inside the Paradox, the small group returned to the Sentinel in the holding bay, the avatar floating alongside them.

Inside the craft Fearic took the controls  for the journey through the first

door of the portals. The great doors slowly swung inwards and they glided

through the entrance.

Anmar was standing just inside the gate as Fearic landed his craft and the Elvanol sprang for the descending steps and joined the Journeyman and his companions.

They all crowded around the bridge screen as the great ship  slowly moved forward. Anmar spoke.'This is the first portal you have just entered and we know it as the Dawn

'Why is that?' Hannah asked.

'Because it seems to be just that.' Anmar replied. 'It is like the pre dawn just

before the sun rises, a crimson sky lit up by the approaching sunrise.'

 'But is there still this cacophony of sound', Fred interrupted.  Fearic

had blocked out the chaotic jangle of sound inside the ship.

'No it was much more peaceful, yes there was sound but it was harmonious, a

continual slightly undulating tone, almost like the intonation of someone

meditating and the crimson hue filled the space above us'. The

first fleet, Anmar explained, filled the area on all sides, fighters, star

cruisers and associated supply and shuttle vessels. Eventually they reached the

far side of the first portal and the exit doors opened slowly as the Sentinel

approached.

 'The second  door is the is the Portal of the Morning, as the sun rises above the horizon filling the whole space with an orange glow. Now we still have this riot of noise and this multi coloured chaos of light, just a world of anarchy'.

Again the children could see another group of Anildar craft, the second Anildar fleet hovering in the space that they were transversing, 

Their journey continued through each portal which the children realised was like the passage of a day. From the third portal they could see what appeared to be a brightly lit morning with a sky filled with golden sunlight. Through the fourth  great doorway they crossed pastures and forest lands and on through the fifth where they appeared to be crossing a broad expanse of ocean. In the sixth doorway of Transcension the light was beginning to fail turning the sky into deep shade of  sapphire. Their journey finally culminated  in the seventh portal with the end of the day, a dying sun in a violet sky. Anmar had described the gentle passage of each day with harmonious sounds and the natural hues associated with the passage of a typical day.

As the Sentinel drifted on  through the scattered crafts of the Elvanol fleet the whole company  seemed to be stunned.  Anmar broke the silence 'Now all is misrule, no order, just this that you see and hear around you. We may just as well be trapped inside the Achos Spiral itself'

Fearic placed his arm around the Elvanol's shoulder. 'I think this is the first time

in our long friendship that I have seen you so despairing. There must be a

solution Anmar and we will find it'.

Both children had fallen silent as they had progressed through the portals and

Fred  turned to Hannah finally to find her deep in thought. 'Any ideas Hannah, what's going on here, does it make any sense at all'?

'Not at the moment it doesn't Fred but there is something that's sort of ringing alarm bells in my head. It's like that funny feeling you have when you get stuck on a crossword clue and at the back of your mind you feel you know the answer but the word you're looking for seems to be somehow out of reach'.

Elisive interrupted the children. 'Now we must proceed to the Achos Spiral without delay'.

Meanwhile the unfortunate group with Rolly were being escorted through the Mazarchian forest by their captors. She turned to the two Invars. 'I have a feeling I know where they are taking us' she whispered under her breath'.

After a short trek the escorted captives approached the old mine workings and they were forced into a pithead cage accompanied only by four shades. The cage descended and as it reached the bottom of the shaft the captors were pushed out into the dimly lit tunnel. They passed new workings and the partially completed assembly at the head of the newly  sunken shaft. The three companions were led on to a rusty old iron door. One of the Shades drew back two heavy bolts and opening the creaking door the three unfortunate captives were pushed roughly inside. 'You won't easily escape from this' the Shade muttered', as he rammed the bolts shut on the iron door.       

Rolly and the two Invars were in complete darkness. Semiantor was the first to speak. 'Where are we'? He moaned.

 'Now Semi, let's not get too despondent; been in stickier situations than this'.

'And how do you propose we get out of this one Master Penn' Rolly asked. 'Unlike you two I can just about see and we appear to be in some kind of a store room and this is an old Urec mine that is no longer being worked. Interesting to see that new construct back there and I have an idea what those devils are up to'.

' Well I can't see my hand in front of my eyes; we don't have the advantage of  Elvanol eyesight so I'm just going to have to do something about that'. Suddenly the store room was filled with an eerie blue light. Derenby was holding his silver whistle above his head.

Rolly chuckled and patted the little Invar on the head. 'Well at least on this

occasion you haven't lost your whistle but I don't remember it being illuminated the last time I saw your remarkable musical key but don't forget this door isn't an Invar device. It's an iron door bolted on the outside with rather large iron bolts '.

'Just as well I visited Fred and Hannah and got my little friend back. Of course

I  carried out one or two modifications when we got back to the Library Moon'

 'Okay hence the light but you did say one or two mods didn't you, what is the second one'?

Derenby grinned. 'Just might get us out of this prison, a micro pulse laser beam with a difference'.