Chapter 41

We didn't stop for a break until late afternoon, and Milly was more than happy for a rest by that point.

"How's your shoulder?" Shane asked as I dismounted.

He started to walk closer but stopped when Milly snorted and pulled against the reins, not appreciating the werewolf's approach.

"Sore, but not too bad," I said as I tied her to a tree and went over to Shane since he couldn't come near the mule without shifting.

He peered at the dark red spot on my cloak with a frown. "I don't have any supplies to clean or bandage it, and my claws would get in the way if I tried in this form."

I hesitated, then asked, "Are you able to shift to your human form without your necklace?"

"Yes, but the chains will almost certainly be present."

"I can remove the chains if you shift."

He gazed at me with curiosity and confusion in his eyes. A quick flash of green interrupted my view. As I expected, the chains reappeared with his human form.

"Let's get these off you," I murmured, stepping forward.

He stood with a stillness that bespoke trust as I tested his bindings. Most of the joints connecting the larger chains were just spin locks, placed against his back where he couldn't reach them with the manacles binding his wrists.

My fingers worked swiftly, echoed by tiny clinks as I freed small sections of chain. The collar around his neck was the first to go. It didn't take long before I undid enough clasps to push the chains off his shoulders, allowing the rest of the chest harness and waist restraints to fall to the ground.

That left the manacles and leg shackles. I came in front of him and picked up a cuff so I could peer at the lock.

"Someone spent some money on these," I muttered as I pulled a couple of hairpins out of my sleeve and began tinkering around inside.

"You can pick locks?"

"Gypsies get the bad reputation, but I've never met a trader who couldn't pick locks," I replied absently, focused on the feel of the toggles. "You'd be amazed how many people lose their keys, or how often you buy an expensive chest and need to open it without damaging it."

A faint click came from inside the lock, allowing me to open the cuff and drop it to the ground.

Shane held out his other wrist for me. "You weren't touching the cuffs when they fell off in the wagon. And I still can't figure out how you got all those chain links apart. That looked like real magic."

"It was actually the necklace you gave me. It might not like being stuck in a pocket, but apparently it doesn't like chains either. I just played along when they thought I was a sorceress." The other cuff dropped from his wrist, and I crouched down to check the leg shackles, asking, "What happened in the tent? The necklaces..." I trailed off, not even sure what to ask to would properly express my confusion.

He was quiet for a moment. "The curse jumped to him. When it did that, the magic let me see the design clearly. The sorceress couldn't stop the blood curse, but she changed it as much as she was able to. The curse had several partial releases. When I blocked that arrow, saving you from pain, it was an act of redemption, which unlocked the wolf shape during the day. What you did in the tent – and I have some words for you later about that – was an act of love that would have also inflicted an injury. That removed the remaining shifting restraints."

"You mean you can shift to any form at any time? You aren't forced into one during the day?" I asked, standing up now that the leg shackles were off.

With a nod, he shifted between all three forms with a brief flash of green each time, returning to his human form once he was done.

"So how did the Warlord turn into a werewolf?"

"Because there were so many releases, the sorceress had to add a larger curse aspect. She made the main curse transferable and partially tied it to the necklaces. The cursed person can't just give the necklaces away to get rid of the curse, but if someone killed a person wearing one of the necklaces in cold blood, or in your case, the person was convinced it would be a killing blow, the curse jumps to the attacker. Fire won't activate the curse if they're in the day form."

"So it jumped to him, but you can still shift?"

"Blood curses can't be undone," he replied solemnly. "Some aspects of the curse – such as the werewolf form – still exist. I just have a lot more freedom now."

I nodded slowly, not sure if he still considered the shapeshifting a curse or a blessing now that he had complete control over which shape he wore. Perhaps he didn't know yet. Either way, it wasn't a question that should be asked for quite some time.

"Did you know that when you shift now, it's pure green and much quicker?" I asked, trying to shift the subject to something lighter.

"I noticed that I only see a faint green haze during the shift, and I knew it was quicker. I didn't realize the orange was completely gone, although it makes sense. Those were likely the releases that hadn't been undone." He paused, then quietly said, "That... mummy. Did I look like that?"

I nodded again, replying equally as softly, "Yes. Your fur was a different color and only one necklace was present, but otherwise, it was just like that. The shift and seizures were similar as well."

"I'm amazed you didn't run for the hills after seeing that."

"Well, technically I did, but I took you with me."

He met my eyes again, eventually saying, "And I'm glad you did."

I smiled slightly, then shrugged. "I'll admit I'm kind of hoping those men burn it so the Warlord doesn't come looking for us. He was bad enough before he had werewolf strength and healing."

Shane snorted faintly. "Oh, they will. You mentioned there was a possibility he could see and hear us. He'd kill them for what they did, and they'll make sure he doesn't get that chance. Fire ought to do it. The curse will stick to the necklaces until someone puts them on and hurts an innocent person. Then it'll activate."

"In that case, I hope those men bury them so they're never found again."

"With the risk of a curse sticking to them, they'll dispose of them in such a way that there's no chance of it coming back to haunt them. Especially after being paid a gold coin."

"That was to reimburse them for the risk they took and to remove any outstanding debts. Debts have a bad way of coming back at you when you least expect it."

"Just like curses," he muttered. Then he shook his head and glanced at me as a light smirk touched his lips. "And to think I only asked for a hundred silver coins."

"I have five gold coins left, and after everything we've gone through, they're yours."

He furrowed his eyebrows, then looked at me. "How about you keep the gold and introduce me to the life of a trader?"

The emotions deep in his eyes matched what I'd seen in the tent.

I smiled softly. "I'd like that."

I was looking forward to spending more time with the man I'd met by the light of the moon.

The End.

(Although I'm seriously considering a sequel where Shane learns about life as a trader or possibly even have the necklaces make a reappearance. Thoughts?)

 Thoughts?)