Chapter 3

Bonus chapter! In celebration of my books reaching a combined 25 million reads, here's an extra chapter, which is my way of saying thank you since this wouldn't have been possible without all of you!

Exhaustion tugged at me as I rode Milly down the narrow path. I had no idea where Shane was. He said he would be "checking the area", and if he gave a long howl, I was supposed to hide in the trees.

He had left my sight before shifting, and I still wasn't sure if I was happy or sad about that. On one hand, it was intriguing. On the other hand, I liked my stomach's contents where they currently were.

Dawn was only a couple of hours away, so I suspected we'd be stopping before too long. Or so I hoped. Werewolves had to sleep too, right? If nothing else, Milly would probably only plod down this trail for a few more hours before she'd balk in a rare display of stubbornness and demand rest.

As if summoned by my thoughts, I saw Shane step onto the trail ahead. When I got closer, he said, "We'll make camp in a sheltered area over here."

He started walking down a deer path, and I sent Milly after him. We'd successfully evaded the war party all night, although Shane had returned three times to stop Milly in case the soldiers passed close enough to hear us.

Despite running around all night, Shane didn't look the least bit tired. I counted that as a good thing though. Any guide I hired should have more stamina than me and be able to travel all day and still be alert for danger.

We eventually arrived in a clearing Shane had clearly used before. There was a small lean-to hut for travelers and a tree branch paddock for horses to graze in. A small campfire was already burning with a small pot gently bubbling beside it.

This was a very pleasant surprise. Travelers normally helped guides set up the camp, start the fire, and cook the meals. There was even a bucket of water already in the paddock for Milly.

"Thank you," I said, dismounting and leading Milly to the paddock. "What's left to be done?"

"Not much. There are some pots hidden in the base of that tree if you want to boil some water. The stew will be ready shortly. Otherwise, it's just the mule and arranging the shelter however you like."

"I just use a bedroll, although I have a spare blanket if you want to borrow it," I said as I removed the saddlebags and saddle, hanging them over the fence post for now. It hadn't escaped my notice that he didn't even have a backpack, although he might be planning to sleep as a werewolf.

He gazed at me for a few moments, as if surprised by my offer. I hated to break it to him, but if a trader using manners perplexed him, this was going to be a long trip for Mr. Werewolf.

"Thanks for the offer," he finally said, "but I don't need it. And I won't be using the shelter, so don't worry about leaving room for me."

With a yawn, I carried my bedroll into the lean-to. There were even fresh branches and grasses to create a barrier between me and the dirt. Another unexpected touch. Even if this was the only time he did it, I'd give him a tip at the end of our journey.

As I came out of the makeshift shelter, Shane was stirring the stew over the fire, so I went to check the tree. Inside the hollow base, I found several pots and other dishes. I pulled out a pot, as well as a bowl and spoon for Shane since I noticed he didn't have any beside him.

I set the bowl and spoon by Shane, then poured some water into the pot and placed it by the fire. With that done, I went to give Milly a quick brush while the food cooked. She tiredly chewed mouthfuls of clover, and it wouldn't be long before she fell asleep. Nor could I blame her – she'd done her fair share of work.