i. longing contact

From across the room, two souls connected.

    Alondra and her Sister had walked to the bone yard not too far from their house after they'd gotten a invitation a couple days before-school had just ended a week after the family of four moved to the area and the two needed a change of pace. Ximena, the oldest, had a friend, the girl lived on figure eight she met her after Cecilia signed Mena up for one of the teen activities on the island, Alondra hadn't spoken to anyone outside of her usual jurisdiction, mother, father, sister and your occasional teacher, she'd been the mysterious new sophomore, unattainable and unapproachable.

     Kildare County, the place came to a shock for the two teens, it was two social groups, Kooks and Pogues, now neither of them knew what they'd been, not being poor nor rich and living in the cut, a Kook, typically rich kid with parents they'd inherit everything from without having to work, Rolex watches and Mercedes-Benz, late nights without a worry in the world, the complete opposite of the boy Alondra had been eye-ing all night. Pogues, kids who came from nothing, their parents came from something similar and couldn't properly break the generational curses that had been previously started.

     The Riveras wouldn't have that problem with Cecilia and Jorge for parents, they refused to put their kids through anything other than what is expected, school, good environment, loving and trusting system, the ladder, Jorge worked two jobs to make sure they'd never struggle now one due to their big move to the outer-banks, Cecilia was now a stay at home mother like she'd always wanted, progress.

     Alondra had never been the type to speak first or make anything too obvious, the familiar boy looked her up and down, patting his friends chest with a grin on his face-Jamie had been their neighbor for a couple months now, she'd hear the late night arguments between him and who she was assuming to be his father, she'd see him mowing their neighbors lawns and getting in this one specific van everyday, his dirty blonde hair always sitting messy on his head. Maybe she and Mena would watch from their screened in porch as he watered grass for extra cash, only she'd see the nights where he'd come out of the house bloody nosed, tears being held back.

     So many times did she want to offer help, say something as she creepily looked out the window waiting for it to happen or when she'd be sitting on the porch at night listening to the neighborhood, camera and coloring book in hand, so badly did she want to let him know that she saw, that she acknowledged what he'd been struggling with, the quietness took over and she'd swear 'maybe next time' when the chance was present, she knew her parents saw, the longing looks during the day whenever the man would come out and sit on the porch awaiting his sons arrival, the 'fatherly' nods between both Jorge and Luke.

    Except.

     Jorge was a loving father, he deserved those nods, Luke? once he beat the boy because he and Cecilia began to talk and the conversation went a little like 'just because we live on the uglier side, doesn't mean we have to purposely ugly it' Luke, being the two faced abuser he was agreed, told Jamie to clean up the trash he'd left-the years old laundry machines from before the teenager was alive and when he missed one thing after working for hours he'd been shuttled out with purple and blue bruises, it wasn't like they lived close together either, window to window with distance in walking, eye contact hadn't been lost between the two teens.

    She watched as he broke the contact to talk to a lighter skinned girl, his arm around her shoulders, assuming it was his girlfriend she turned to face her sister who'd been surrounded by a group of Kooks, a dark-skinned boy taking her attention, due to the fact that she couldn't just leave her sister she poured a drink, a boy with hair hanging in his face approaching her.

    Tall, mixture of blonde and brown hairs, one more than the other throughout his head, he had this galling attraction to him, like he'd give you a roller coaster ride every conversation, "I'm bored" he opened his mouth, her head turning to face his "okay?"

    "And you looked bored, so I was thinking, we could get outta here, be bored together, you know?" he joked, watching her face light up.

     "Oh my god...that's the worst thing i've heard in seven years" Alondra chuckled, the drink dangling in her hands as her pearly whites flashed at him, his eyes moving all over "thank you, I try, I try" he repeated himself.

    "So, what was the thinking Process behind all that?" she dared to dig, questioning his ability to creatively communicate-the older looking boy faced the sand, turning back to her with a vast answer "I stare, I think, hm...pretty girl, never seen her before, is near people I know, I should go bother her and see where it gets me" he responded, his hands rubbing together.

     "Good response."

     "So, does the pretty girl have a name?" he asked-she debated giving it to him, her eyes narrowing as her smile widened "Alondra."

    "I'm Rafe" he put his hand out to shake.

•••
OKAY? thank you to everyone who's came from
tiktok please interact (as in comment etc) and lmk your thoughts, I will be working on a edit
for this book because majority of the reads are
from my tiktok so please bare with me, next update at 300 reads!

unedited.