Unrequited

That woman over there, in the corner of the room, is really a terrific tease. I don't even think she means to be, but I've simply never encountered anyone like her. She's got this breezy, powder-blue sundress on, and stylish ankle-strap sandals on her pedicured feet. A girl as pretty as she is would never be interested in a guy like me.

She's wearing these great panties today, too. I caught a glimpse of the lacy fabric clinging to the inside of her thighs while we were getting her prepared. Her legs had slid apart almost imperceptibly, and I had subtly craned my neck to see as much as I could. Still, I don't think anyone's noticed my unprofessional behavior, or even how obsessed with her I've become.

In a different lifetime, maybe this woman and I could even be friends. I'm friendly and very pleasant once people get to know me, and she looks like the kind of girl who values a nice guy with a good attitude. I certainly think I could earn her attention. Oh well. She'll be gone within the next hour or two - out of my life forever - and so there's nothing to do except try and forget about her. It'd be easier, though, if she just didn't look so damn beautiful.

Just outside the door, I can hear her family beginning to arrive. They're asking why she's not already out there and ready for things to begin; they really seem to want everything to go perfectly today. "It looks like we're running late," I remark. It's the first thing I've had the courage to say aloud in her presence. There's no response, but the soft smile on her lips fills me with pleasure. Muttering a shy "Goodbye," I disable the breaks on her casket's bier and wheel her from the embalming lab into the reception area.