Chapter 41

I'm wasn't half as surprised as I should've been when I saw Caspar stood in the middle of the hall, one hand grabbing my mother's hair whilst she thrashed about, tied down in a chair.

Still, the sight of him disturbed me. I had thought him so good, so pure.

I had felt sorry for him.

But now it was the time for truth.

"Let her go!" I gasped out, despair plaguing me as I looked at the fear in my mothers eyes. "She has no part in this- no part in anything!"

Caspar tilted his head back and let out a roar of laughter, so different to the carefree, kind boy I thought I had known.

If he wasn't Caspar the cursed boy, who was he?

I felt Angel's grip on my shoulder, fingernails digging in, before I could open my mouth to scream.

Tired. I felt so tired of this constant betrayal and having to rewrite everything I knew.

"You!" I nearly spit, not sure if my hatred was directed towards the charming demon in front of me or the traitorous angel behind. "How long have you been playing me?"

My mothers eyes were were wide in alarm but she was smart enough to know not to speak.

Caspar strides towards me, a taunting grin painting his perfect bony face. The violet eyes no longer look striking but merciless and... evil. More evil than anything I've ever seen. Perhaps even more evil than Ezaryth's eyes.

"Come now, darling," he tutted. I flinched at his words, caving towards Angel who still had me in a death grip. "Playing you? No- we've been trying to help you."

I could hear Angel leaning forward to speak into my ear, blonde hair brushing my shoulder. God, she smelt so familiar, like the only home I'd ever known. A home I had lost.

"Meeting you was the best thing that ever happened to me," she said happily. "It allowed me to be chosen when I would've otherwise been overlooked."

I let out a hysterical sob, my eyes meeting my mother's; seeking out a comfort she couldn't give. "What's happening? Please, you owe me an explanation at least."

Caspar bit his lip. "We owe you nothing," he hissed, his gaze intense. "The only reason you're not dead is because you carry something of value."

The meaning behind his words hit me. "You want my baby too!" I exclaimed, mentally preparing a list of people all desperate to lay claim on my unborn child.

"Baby!" My mother cried before she was silenced by Caspar.

Angel walked over to Caspar, her face unsure. "She isn't one of them, I promise. She just hasn't seen yet."

I still had no idea what she was babbling on about, but it comforted me slightly that she wasn't completely turned against me.

"Seen what?" I asked.

Angel came towards me with her arms reached out. "The dark gods have visited me and shown me what is too be!" She is happy- incandescently so. "And it will all be thanks to you!"

"Dark gods?" My eyes meet Caspar's. "You mean the Shadowlords. Ezaryth."

Of course the two people I thought I could trust were working with the creature who wanted to marry my daughter.

"The shadowlords came to me as well as Angel. We are blessed to have seen the future they have planned for us." Caspar stood with his hands behind his back, looking as determined as ever.

"Why aren't your eyes purple too?" I asked my old best friend. "Or is that a trick too."

She shakes her head, looking slightly uncomfortable. "I am not as... lucky as some others."