Chapter 15

"Tell me about wolves."

Sat up in my room with Jax slung over the chair in the corner I felt as if I were in a dreamlike state. Yet I wasn't imagining the smirking dark-haired boy looking at me intensely.

"You should be more specific," he told me. "Wolves is a broad topic. You might of well as sat down a historian and asked him to talk about history."

"Do you know much history?" I asked, intrigued and easily distracted. "Do wolves learn stuff like that?"

He rolled his eyes. "Are you imagining some kind of wolf academy? No, we don't have wolf education," he teased, "but we live longer so we pick stuff up."

"Hmmm," I thought. "I suppose you are history in many ways. I mean, you're older than my mom." I pulled a face. "That's weird. Maybe you should mate with someone your own age."

He laughed, not in the least offended. "I wouldn't have many option. And we could debate the morality of our situation all night and still not get anywhere."

I nodded seriously. "Wolf politics."

"You want to hear about wolf politics?"

"Are you a wolf dictator?" I asked. "Is that what an alpha is?"

He shook his head. "Alphas are respected leaders. None of my pack would follow me if they didn't believe in me. Trust me."

I took in the information and curled up my legs onto the bed. My mom would be home soon. I wondered how easy it would be to hide a massive wolf-man in my bedroom. "Do you think you'd fit in my closet?"

His eyes shot wide with alarm. "I hope not."

"Shame," I muttered. "Under the bed it is then."

"Do you want to talk about wolves or not?" He challenged.

"I do! I do!" I exclaimed. "There's just so much to ask. My mind is jumping about."

He sighed. "I'll speak. You listen."

I grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around my shoulders. "Should I get some snacks?"

He raised his eyebrows. "You're different than usual," he noted. "I hope it's not my influence making you so giddy."

"You've only ever met me properly one other time," I pointed out. He made a strange face, which made me falter. "You have only met me once, right?"

"We've only talked once," he agreed. "The thing is... I was naturally curious who my mate was."

"Stalker!" I pointed a finger at him accusatorially.

He shrugged. "I never followed you into any dark corners. After a few weeks I realised I wasn't respecting you, and even if we could never be together it was still wired in my system to look after you. Even if I'm protecting you from myself." He laughed bitterly.

"Are wolves dangerous?" I asked, my voice quieter. An image flashed through my head, of Jax lunging at Genevieve.

He fell silent for a moment, looking at me with intense pale eyes that sent shivers down my spine.

"Anything can be dangerous," he said after a while. "Just because the wolves look like beasts doesn't mean they are any more deadly than a mortal."

"If I ran into one would it kill me?"

His eyes shifted away from me. Down to the floor. "Not one of my pack," he finally relented.

I nodded, taking in the information. "Alright then. Tell me everything."