02: Saturday Blues

I didn't end up seeing Justine again until the following morning. The thoughts of the abortion note that came in the mail for her made me want to lecture her so badly, but the fact that she wasn't even home made this all rather difficult. She called Auntie Lucretia saying she would be staying at London's. Although it was rather interesting when I saw Justine, but no London the next morning at school.

"Where were you last night?" I questioned, pulling Justine aside. She furrowed her eyebrows with confusion before wiggling her arm out of my hold. She then sucked her teeth before looking over at Ken then back at me.

"I was at London's house." She responded bluntly, pushing past me into the lecture hall. Ken stood beside me in shock glancing back at me with wide eyes. I watched in surprise as well, as my little sister walked past with much attitude. Before I could even say a single word, Glyn then walked beside me, tapping my shoulder as he extended his fist between us.

"What's good?" he greeted, as I dapped him back then shook my head with a slight sigh. Glyn had been my best friend since elementary school, but I just wasn't sure how I could just come out and tell him something like this. "Is it something that bad?" Glyn then asked, now looking at me with uncertainty as I nodded slightly.

"Glyn, Justine's pregnant..." I whispered, as Glyns eyes jaw dropped. "I swear to god when I find the nigga that got my little sister pregnant that nigga is dead." I fumed, taking a deep breath as I closed my eyes. Glyn looked back at me just as speechless as I was when I found out the news.

"But... how did you find out?" He asked, as I pulled the letter from my back pocket and showed him. Glyn grabbed the letter before looking over the details, handing it back to me slowly. "...Damn" He mumbled quietly as I nodded my head, kissing my teeth in annoyance. I pocketed the letter back into my jeans while the three of us stood silently.

"Our dad is gonna kill her, and then me if he hears about this." I groaned, feeling like such an irresponsible brother to have found out my younger sister was pregnant. I checked my watch before motioning for them both to follow me, "...come on, I don't want to have to serve another one of these shit's next week, again." I sighed as Glyn, Ken, and I entered the crammed and brightly lit lecture hall. The room smelt like despair and smelly feet, and I was already dying to go back home to sleep.

An array of faces were already seated in the chairs bellow us as we scanned the room for our other friends. Once we spotted a few, the three of us hurried over to them before our assistant principle boasted in with an unamused face. His usual charcoal suit and tie attire was today replaced with a powder blue polo shirt and khaki pants. The lines and wrinkles in his forehead and face represented each year that he had been an assistant principle, and by the looks of it, it was quiet a few. On top of that, his hair line was receding way beyond any basketball player you could name.

"The fact that forty-seven of you are sitting here on this snowy Saturday morning really amazes me. This has to be the most students I've given a Saturday Detention to in one week, for the entire year so far." Mr. Douglas began his lecture as everyone sat silently. "Well, the time is now seven thirty, and you all have until noon to sit silently. You may not eat, drink, talk, sleep, put your head down or use any electronic devices. If you have a book to read or homework you may do that, otherwise you'll have to come back next saturday to re-serve your detention." He spat out harshly as not a single word around the room was spoken.

It was obvious he was pissed since he could have been in his house relaxing like most of us would want to be doing at the moment, but instead he was stuck 'babysitting' nearly fifty high schoolers on a Saturday. Ken pulled out a few Bape magazines from his backpack as Joey already had his notepad on the desk to write down his newest rhymes. I looked back over at Mr. Douglas siting at a table with the book, The Great Gatsby perched in his hands as he already seemed indulged in the story. I slowly slid my phone from my pocket, keeping a close eye on Mr. D's next move, but wasn't surprised to see that I didn't have service. I sucked my teeth, slipping the useless phone back into my pocket as I sighed intently, looking up at the ceiling.