Chapter 1

It was a rainy morning in Chicago, droplets trickling down the window, racing each other to get to the bottom. People rushed around, hailing taxis and ducking under cover. While it didn't rain incredibly hard, it was enough for people in suits to worry about it. Taxis rarely stopped, not wanting already ruined seats to be even more ruined by rain droplets on seats. People rushed into small shops to try and dodge as much of the rain as they could. It was false hope to believe that the rain would die down anytime soon. Because when it rained in this place, it rained.

And like most of them, Alex Marter was rushing into a coffee shop though for different reasons then escaping rain. She had things to do, like type of a paper for her speech. Normally she was found in Baltimore, Maryland; working at John Hopkins Hospital, the purpose solely because it was considered the best in the United States. She was a genius in the neuro world and still rising as time passed. People looked at her with nothing short of admiration. And at only 33, it was a fairly successful thing to have.

And if her brains weren't enough, she was a beauty to the eyes. Standing at 5'6 she had a body that made other women jealous at every single curve. Her hair was long, brown and straight and always fixed to perfection, not to mention the hauntingly beautiful green eyes fixed on the prize at all times. She was a dedicated girl with a drive at getting what she wanted. And she had never been afraid to work for it. Alex Mater was just that person.

She strolled in, laptop case hanging off her shoulder. She fixed the glasses on her face, taking them off and drying them with the edges of her shirt before replacing them. Glasses were no use if she couldn't see through them after all. Patiently as she could she waited in line as it slowly dwindled. And soon enough it was her turn to order, and happily. "I want Grande mocha frappucino with a crescent pastry." She said immediately. She was too impatient for the teen to ask her what she wanted. She had things to do! The teen seemed shocked for a moment but eventually recovered, placing the order and preparing her things. Within a few moments he returned, setting her coffee on the counter. "Is it for here or to go ma'am?" He questioned. 

"For here." She responded. He went back, returning a moment later with her pastry on a small plate. She eyed it hungrily for a moment before returning her eyes directly back to the teen's. He seemed to squirm under her intense gaze but she couldn't be bothered with that.

Before he spoke he cleared his throat uncomfortably, "$9.82, ma'am." He said nervously, eyes subtly flicking to the side then back to her.

She set a ten dollar bill on the counter then grabbed her drink and food before turning back to find a table. The teen called out about the change and she simply waved a hand about it. She didn't really care about a few cents not coming back to her. She found a secluded table, seated in the corner. She sat with her screen facing the wall so no one would be able to see what it was she was doing.

She set the cup and pastry to the side. She slid the laptop case off her shoulder, setting it to hang off the side of the chair. Setting both legs to the side she took out her laptop, placing it on the table as she opened it up. She pressed the power button, crossing both legs as she leaned back. The screen lit up a light blue as it turned on, opening up the log-in screen. She clicked her personal log-in and entered the password. The screen changed to the home screen and immediately a message popped up. 

It was from one of her colleagues, congratulating her on a surgery she had already forgotten about. She quickly wrote him back, saying thank you and other fake heartfelt bullshit. He didn't really mean it, he hated her. Jack Nickels was his name and everyone hated him. He was a man who tried to damn hard to be liked. He would suck up to you then talk behind your back and she despised him. Not to mention the few times he actually had an accomplishment he didn't shut up about it.