Sore Topic

Tori's POV:

BeckOliver changed his relationship status.

I frown at the blurry notification, blinking twice before focusing on the bright screen amidst the dim room. I open his Slap profile, not needing to search long to find a picture of him standing with a blonde. One hand around her waist while the other holds the blonde girl's arms that cuddle his neck.

I glance over at the ice queen, sleeping peacefully on her back, hands linked and resting on her rising and falling stomach. She sleeps so.. death-like. Almost like Snow White. Or sleeping beauty. Without the beauty.

That was mean, I think to myself.

Shaking my head from getting into an argument with my own brain, I focus back on the device in my hands. I thought Beck and Jade just broke up. Not even a week ago. At least that's what she told me. Unless she was lying. I can never trust a word she says.

However, based on the cuddly pair on my screen, I have no doubt that she was telling the truth. Even Beck wouldn't have the balls to pose with another girl and post it on his socials for the whole school to see. Still. They'd been dating for four years. Yes, it was on-and-off but I'd never seen them move on like this before. Not so quick anyways.

"What're you doing?"

I gasp, the phone jumping out of my hand to land on the carpeted floor. She raises a studded eyebrow.

"You scared me!" I whisper-shout. How the heck did she wake up? I didn't make a sound. Does she always wake up at five-thirty in the morning?

She eyes me suspiciously, glancing down at my fallen phone, then back to my guilty eyes. Reflexes has me lunging head-first to the floor when we both swivel our legs around. I barely manage to swipe it, compromising my safety for the sake of a less-cranky Jade today. My left cheek smushes against the carpet, leaving behind a nasty carpet burn. Yet still, I take triumph in snatching my phone before she could.

I guess I celebrated a little too early because next thing I know, I'm being pinned down. Again. On the floor this time. I groan out in pain when she elbows me in my rib. I think it was by accident, but then again one can never tell with Jade West.

She tries to peel my tightly-wound fingers away from the pear-shaped phone but I only latch on tighter. Subconsciously, I realize she can easily figure it out if she simply went on her own phone, but a part of me really just wants to win. For once.

Jerking my hips up, I manage to tip her off guard. Then, before she seizes the control, I push to my right, climbing on top of her when her back hits the floor.

I did it. I actually topped her.

"We've been wrestling a lot these days," she notes. As if I didn't know that already!

"You're the one who keeps tackling me for no reason!"

"Scoot down a bit. I can't breathe with you sitting on my lungs."

For whatever reason, I blush. I slide down a little while keeping my hands wrapped against her wrists. Except it was all just so she could take advantage of the millisecond in which I'd lifted off her to push me away and grab my phone. I realize how easily I could've avoided all this if I'd simply locked it to begin with, but it's too late. Jade's already fixed her eyes on the post. Her jaw clenched. And her glare intensified.

However, despite all that, I'm surprised by how little her reaction lasted. I didn't expect a full tantrum or raging cry, but maybe a hint of sadness or even a little cursing.

She throws my phone at me which I fumble to catch. Crawling back under the covers, she turns to her side, back facing me.

I hesitate, debating on asking or not. I already know she's not going to be honest but it feels weird to stay silent despite that. "Are you-"