Sea's Secrets

▪Chapter One▪

“Come on Nel, how can you live in Miami your whole life and never been in the water! Please!” Ben says in his pleading tone.

I frown and cross my hands over my chest. “No, we’ve been over this.”

He hesitates for a moment, and apologetically speaks up. “I know I’m sorry I just wanted you to come tonight, I hate going to parties without you.”

I untangle my hands from my chest. “Its fine, you’ll have fun.” I say as sincere as I could manage.

Ben lets out a sigh and doesn’t say anything.

“You can stop by after the party, if you want to.” I Say in a lighter voice.

A smile glides across his full lips starting at the left side of his mouth. “Yeah, I will be there.”

“Okay good.” I say as I lean towards him, resting my hands on his biceps. He bends down slightly with intentions of meeting his lips to mine, but instead his phone started going off.  A frown settles in on his mouth.  He compromises with kissing me lightly on the forehead instead before he reaches for his phone.  He opens the message he received and the frown stayed put as he soon glances up at me.

“Nel I’m sorry, Reed wants me at the party now to help set up.” he says wearing a worried expression.

“Its fine, go, I will see you soon.” I say in a relaxed tone.

Slight relief lingers on his face. “Thank you, I love you.” He says as he quickly brushes his lips against mine, sending a warm feeling down my spine.

“Implied.” I respond to him as we exchange smiles and he heads off in the opposite direction to the parking lot.

Leaving me alone, but surrounded by over tanned sunbathers and surfers I let out a sigh I didn’t know I was holding. A small headache drummed in the back of my head, alone with the flakiness on my visible skin, with that I headed down the beach, towards the small inlet where my house laid. The walk was long but enjoyable, the late august breeze pushed through my plain brown hair causing a few strands caressing my lips. Once out of site to most of beachers, my house became visible. The small low porch extended out far, complimented my two large glass windows, which my mother had decorated with mini palm trees. In the middle was the glass door that was covered with a light almost see through sand colored curtain. My house was a good sized for two people considering my dad had passed away before I was born.

 I head onto the porch then through the door. “Hi mom.” I shout as the smell of blueberry muffins bombarded my nose.

“Hey Sweetie, I’m in the kitchen.” My mom shouts back.

I move through the living room and into the kitchen to see my mom perched on one of the stools leaning her arms on the countertop while she gazed down at some magazine. She looks up at the sound of my footsteps and smiled. Her dark hair matched mine, minus the length, hers was short and bob styled, mine that waved down to my waist. Our eyes were different though, hers were pale blue, resembling crystals, in contrast mine were an ugly dead gray.