Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3

I woke with a start. My head was pounding as I blearily looked around the room with slightly unfocused eyes. I was in a hospital bed and my head ached, but that's about all I could figure out from what I could see.

“Ahh, finally sleeping beauty awakens. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I’m Jason, Jason McCann,” said the guy who had crash tackled me twice.

I blinked stunned and confused. The last thing I remember is this dude trying to get me to talk and then bowling me over. Why the hell is he was being nice to me? He landed me in hospital! The other two must have heard him talk to me and so they walked in from the hallway outside.

“This is Jeremy and Blake Erikson. We all work together in a special unit in the LAPD,” Jason continued.

I didn’t say anything; I only stared so he went on.

 “We need to know why you ran,” Jason inquired.

Out of nowhere my nose suddenly decided to become itchy. I lifted my arm to scratch my nose, but I couldn’t.  I shifted in the bed to find the reason why I could move my arms and I certainly found the answer. Wrist restraints. I was restrained to the hospital bed like a crazy person. I froze and took a shallow breath. The seriousness of the situation began to sink. I couldn’t help it; I do this all the time. I broke down into tears. I was confused and I assumed that I was in BIG trouble if I was being restrained to a hospital bed.

Through my tears I succeeded in getting out, “You had guns. I freaked out.”

Then I somehow managed to fire off a couple of my own questions, “What happened? Why’d you tackle me? Am I in trouble?”

“Lily, this is important. We need to know where your parents are,” Jason quickly asked.

“I- I don’t know. They didn’t tell me where they were going, they just left,” I stammered.

Blake intervened with, “So you have no idea, at all, where your parents are?”

I shook my head dejectedly.

“Okay. Look I’m really sorry about what happened. We thought you running because you knew something,” Jeremy confessed.

“Knew something about what? Why am I restrained then? Why am I in a hospital?” I inquired.

“We didn’t know that you didn’t know anything. You tried to get away from us twice. We weren’t sure if you’d do the same thing when you woke up, so we had you restrained,” Jason replied avoiding half the questions as he sat down in a chair next my bed.

“Do you remembered what happened,” Blake asked cautiously.

“The last thing I remember is being crash tackled to the ground a second time and then nothing,” I shot back venomously.

“I already told you, we needed to ask you some questions and you weren’t being very cooperative,” Jason replied voice just short of shouting.

“Okay, kid look, when Jason jumped you the second time you both went down. You hit your head on the corner of a metal pole and blacked out. You’re in hospital because your head split open and needed stitches, okay,” Jeremy interjected.

“Stitches!” I squeaked and tried to reach up to touch my head, but I couldn’t since I was still restrained.

“You get out tomorrow morning. The doctors want to keep you in for observation overnight. Then the officers outside will bring you down to the LAPD for more questioning,” Blake told me while he gave me a look that seemed to imply that he thought I might cause trouble.