Chapter 9: Solo Mission

The sun had already been setting when you left the Butterfly Estate. Your crow laying atop your head, finally something that had nothing to do with risking your teammates lives, which left you with little comfort.

"Why are you sticking with me anyway?" You asked, your crow leaving you without a response. "Not going to give me even a simple answer?" Though your questioning was quickly answered by a furious peck on your ear, you let out a groan. "Drop your attitude, kid!" You both were left on bad terms for the rest of the walk to the small village you were headed to.

You had been assigned to a mission, apparently there were reports of multiple missing children, all last being seen playing near the edges of the village in question. Saying you didn't feel uneasy about all of this, would a lie.

After hours of walking, you had finally arrived, being greeted by a woman who was around the ages of 30-25. "Hello, you're the swordsmen that was sent here, yes?" The woman looked restless, her voice quite raspy. "Yes, I am." 

"My name is Kazuna, I'm the one who requested they send a swordsmen here to help and investigate, I haven't informed the rest of the village, they might become alarmed and suspect that a demon might be here" The woman, now introduced as Kazuna, whispered quietly, even looking around if anyone were listening in secret.

"I see, so in the report it was said that children were near the borders of this place, right?" You asked, looking around the wooden fences placed around the entire village. 
"Yes.. my son, Haru loved that spot, he played there with all of his friends, but.. until a few days ago.. he.." Kazuna eyes glisten before tears fell from her eyes, you were witnessing a destressed mother having to bear the burden of losing her child. You felt your heart ache. You gently placed a hand on her shoulder, she looked surprised.

"Don't worry, Kazuna. I'll bring those children home, including Haru." Your expression went from concerned to determined, Kazuna had a spark in her eyes, a spark of hope. "Thank you.. Thank you so much..." She said shakingly. Your hand left her shoulder, you gave her a gentle wave before walking through the village to the suspected spot of the disappearances. 

You had to bring them back, no matter the cost.

"What's with the expression? you look stupid." Your crow, who you had forgotten was in your hair, and couldn't of kept quiet, quickly went back to pulling on your hair. "Are you asking to be fed to wild pigs?" You let out an angry hiss, which quickly seemed to shut your crow up. Though, your thoughts were all over the place at the moment, what if the kids were already dead? and you gave false hope to Kazuna? 

Without realizing it, you had already arrived at the area. Giving it a look around, it had small, little wooden people laid across the ground, an old red ball that had, or at least what you would make out of the dirt covering it. 

'Har' 

"Checkmate, it seems this was the area" 

You picked up one of the wooden people that were on the ground, getting a closer look, it had a letter engraved in it. 

'R'

What could this of meant? You had no clue, looked at each one, one after another. The letters you had now were