Marella Redek

Marella stared at the paper, willing it to burst into flames. "C'mon, c'mon."

A flicker of fire sparked at the corner, but it was quickly extinguished. Marella kept on staring. She took a deep breath, and increased her eye power. She was working on trying to summon Hema Ignis - Fire of Blood - which was a recently discovered type of fire. Hema Ignis had recently pushed Everblaze off the top of the "most uncontrollable and dangerous fire" list. But Marella was adamant about summoning it.

Marella's hands balled into fists, and she fought off the urge to blink. Her eyes watered, but the paper sparked and caught flame. "Finally...," She whispered, watching as the silver- gold-red flame grew bigger. "I made it."

She opened her hands, fingers spread out, and the fire mimicked her movements. Marella stood, hypnotized by the flame. Her hand went closer to the flame, palm out, inviting the fire to come to her, like a pet dog.

The fire crept closer, almost nervously, to Marella's hand. "It's okay," She whispered. "Hema Ignis, it's okay."

The flame suddenly lashed out, gold, silver, and red sparks flying out everywhere. Marella's hands twitched, and she tried in vain to keep the flames from engulfing everything. It didn't work. Hema Ignis had awoken, craving food, any food.

Marella tried to bend the flame, but Hema Ignis escaped, leaping onto a trailing vine dangling from Fluttermont, Marella's house.

The fire traveled upward, melting the jewels and glass that the house was built with, making whatever it touched burst into flames. Hema Ignis would not stop. It would engulf Fluttermont, leaving nothing but the girl it had been summoned by. It would satiate its hunger and thirst - at least for a little while. Then it would travel over to another house, the same thing over again. Nothing could stop this fire's thirst for destruction.

Marella watched in horror as her childhood home was taken in by the fire. Summoning Hema Ignis was a bad idea. A scream pierced through the smoke, and another joined it. Marella's heart leaped to her throat. Her parents. They were in there. What had she done?