Good Things

Italy woke slowly for the first time in months, maybe years, he wasn't sure. The bed was like a siren calling him into the sea, waiting to devour him whole and never let go. He was warm and maybe even happy. There were no signs of night terrors just himself the bed and England's sleeping form on the other side respectively with a good half foot of space between them and facing away.

He stayed like that, leaning on his arms, and just listening to the nothingness. For once the quiet was peaceful and he no longer felt the need to check for breathing of those beside him. The door however was locked as per habit, one he wasn't sure he ever would break or even if he wanted to break it in all honesty. All he knew was that the only one who could truly empathize with him was right beside him sleeping and safe and that no monster would burst through that door at any moment and kill them. He had been getting tired of seeing those he cared most for dying over and over again with barley anything he could do besides repeat it and try again, try not to make the same mistakes. The peace couldn't last forever as the phone he didn't even realize he had taken with him began to ring.

Forcing himself up from the clutches of the bed he rooted around in his jacket from yesterday and fished his phone from the pocket. He felt exhaustion seep into his bones seeing who it was, his brother, Romano Italy or Lovino. His southern twin so different and yet alike to himself. He loved his brother yes, but he knew if he was calling then japan and Germany must have told him he ran away. He sighed and ran a hand down his face trying to rub the sleep from his eyes. He knew he was about to be scolded like a child, but he couldn't feel too bad about that he was happy his brother spoke to hm at all and was alive to call him and worry.

Italy looked behind himself to England still sleeping and moved out of the room to answer the call. He heard the click of the phones connecting, "Ciao Lovi~ what's up? -"

"what's up?! What's up with you Idiota! Do you know how worried I was when that damn potato bastard called me of all people and said you had run off?!". Romano huffed loudly into the phone. Despite how others saw them, Romano did care about his younger twin, they had been with each other since they first appeared near the Border of The Roman Empire after all. He just had a hard time expressing himself. Italy sighed again, "I'm sorry I worried you fratello, I'm with Arthur right now, I'm alright."

"...you better be! What are you doing at caterpillar brows place? If you wanted to get away, you could've always just visited me you know that"

"Ve, we were just talking, I think were actually friend now! He even watched movies with me, and you know how much I talk during movies." He felt he could really fall back into that happy go lucky character he was before.... everything.

"Chigi, just come back home soon would ya? I don't know how much more singing I can deal with from Antonio(Spain), or at least call Francis to collect the idiot he calls a best friend" he muttered unhappily but with the slightest tone of amusement that only Italy would be able to pick up on. Italy just smiled and chuckled at this. "yes, I'll call Big Brother Francis for you don't worry. Ill probably be home in a few hours alright?"

"Yeah okay, ill see you later than fratello, ciao" he said in his usual monotone almost grumpy voice. "'ti voglio bene" "Ti Voglio bene lovi, see you soon!" he hung up and put the phone in his pants pockets. He opened the room to Englands room and saw the blonde was awake now, he waved to him from the doorway. "ill make you some breakfast, I gotta leave soon per Lovinos request." He said in a joking tone and waited for England's tired nod that said he heard and understood what he said. He left the door closed and headed for the kitchen, taking a while to find where everything was, he cooked up some simple scrambled eggs with cheese and toast with strawberry jam and two glasses of orange juice. A good American breakfast anyone could make like Alfred had shown him quite a few years back, he wondered how the energetic man was doing.

Eventually England came down and thanked him for the food and they ate in a peaceful morning silence, England helping him with the dishes afterwards. Italy gathered the few things he had and hugged England once more and the usually grouchy man hugged back, patting his shoulder. "it was good to see you again chap, visit more often, yes?". Italy smiled softly and nodded his head, "of course, you're my friend Arthur, I see you around." England ruffled the slightly taller man's hair and bid him farewell and good luck with his brother.

He had booked a train ticket back to Italy right after the earlier call and set out walking to the station. After a good yard from England's home the feelings of being watched returned and he cursed under his breath, of course nothing good would last forever. He figured he would just have to learn to adjust, he did feel grateful however that this feeling wasn't as strong as before. Less all world and body encasing and suffocating him and more hair raising on the back of his neck and fingers twitching for the knife in his boot just slightly. He allowed himself one glance around him in the busy passenger car before looking back down to his shoes and taking a few deep breaths, all would be fine. He would see his brother again and maybe even Spain and France too, they always made him feel better. He would be okay eventually.