The Dance

The doors slammed open as we walked onto the freshly waxed gym floor. The dancefloor was full of Jets. They had their dates with them, most of the girls being blondes with too red lipstick and extremely short skirts that got even shorter when they spun. I had always found it funny how the Jet girls performed for their boyfriends. Their hair was always perfect, their makeup caked on like they thought they needed it. While Anita and Bernardo took to the dance floor, I went to the bleachers, earning a few shoulder bumps from Jet girls who saw me walk in. Most of the time, I didn't have to worry about them, except when I went places with Anita and Bernardo. The couple was always the center of attention, and if they weren't they made sure they were. That came back to bite them sometimes, especially on nights like tonight when tensions were high. The mixers always created fights, leading to the cops being there every dance to keep everyone in line. I walked over to the punch counter, and as I went to fill the small plastic cup I had grabbed, the sounds of a tussle breaking out filled the air. I looked up to see Bernardo pushing a Jet in the chest. The Jet boy was tall, at least a head taller than the blonde who now gripped his shirt to pull him away from whatever argument was being had. The cops pushed the two apart, yelling at them to leave each other alone. The Jet fixed his shirt and ran his hands through his hair before looking up. Our gaze met from across the floor. Time seemed to slow as we watched each other. I began to study his every detail, from his coat to his scuffed shoes, and especially his eyes. His eyes were a sharp blue color, the kind that feels cold to look at. Oddly, I didn't feel that. I only felt his eyes study me in the wonderous way that I studied him before his date dragged him back into the dance. I looked back at my punch, filling my cup before snagging a seat in the bleachers.

I tried to find the Jet again on the dancefloor before I realized something. Why did I care? I had never cared about the other Jets, and I was practically known for my nonchalant and unimpressed manner. I shook myself and went back to my recently finished punch glass. I decided since it was the only thing keeping me occupied, I might as well get more. I gently made my way down the bleachers and back to the punch counter. Just as I started to put ice into my cup, the table shook from someone hitting it. I looked up to find the boy from before looking at me. "Hey there." He said with a smirk, winking for effect. I rolled my eyes and went back to my drink. He moved down the table with me. "Nice dress. Very...pink." He gently tugged at my skirt. I reached down to swat his hand away, but his date from before stopped me as she walked up. She began to shout at him, causing him to sigh as he listened to her rant. I giggled at the exasperated look on his face and made my escape back to the bleachers. As I walked, I tried to figure out why he had decided to talk to me. Was it the look? Or was he planning on being the annoying Jet I knew he was? I shook my head as I sat down. I would have plenty of time to think about him later. For now, I just wanted to enjoy my night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At around 11:00, I waved goodbye to Anita. "I should head back to the shop. I have some alterations to make for tomorrow." I said, trying to keep the boredom from seeping into my voice. Obviously, I didn't do a very good job, because she gave me a knowing and sympathetic look. We said our goodbyes, and I made my way out of the gym. The night air was sharp compared to the stuffiness of the dance. The wind stung my lungs and made my eyes water. I started to make my way down the road when I heard someone walking behind me. I didn't dare to run around and just sped up my pace, only for them to speed up. "Hey, wait up!" the person shouted, a New York accent rooted in every word. Suddenly, walking facing me, was the Jet boy from the gym. "I saw you walk out by yourself; thought you might want someone to walk you home." He said, attempting to match my fast pace. I kept walking, ignoring his existence. "I'm Riff, by the way." I kept my eyes on the ground, making him annoyed. "Aren't you going to say something?" he said, earning himself a one-way ticket to me losing my patience. "I have nothing to say to the likes of you." I hissed. My words made him stop walking and go silent. I didn't care, I didn't know who he was, and he was too annoying for me to give a damn. I kept walking by myself, finally reaching my shop. I unlocked the door and stepped inside, taking a deep breath. I locked the door behind me and ran upstairs. As I began to take off my dress, I remembered that it was Anita's. I would have to return it to her and get mine back. I was too tired to get it tonight, so I decided I would go tomorrow.

That night, no matter how hard I tried not to, the only thing on my mind was the Jet, Riff. How could he be so brash, acting the way he had. I didn't like it, at all. When we had met eyes, I thought that maybe it might be just like any other story. Forbidden love at first sight, a story that might have a loving or tragic ending. Now I knew that the only reason he caught my eye was his attitude, his aggressiveness. Especially after he tried to walk me home. I could hardly stand the thought of him. Yet, he seemed to be the one thing that filled my thoughts.

A/N: While I can't promise I'll post every day, I had inspiration. I will have a posting schedule of Mondays and Fridays with the occasional Wednesday. Thank you so much for reading!