The Shop - Anita's

"You know, for someone who works in a fabric shop, you could dress a little more like you live in the present." Anita said, leaning over the counter and twirling her hair with her finger. I pushed my hair out of my face to glare at her. I went back to watching for customers. It was Friday, and the street wavered from the heat that was beating down. A day like today made me glad I kept the store open until the golden hour. The sounds of people milling about, car horns honking. The glow of the sun brightens the store as the curtains whisper in the breeze, matching the buzz of the old fan whirring on the counter. I had always loved this place. This was where I had first met Anita. She came in to buy fabric and was wearing one of the most gorgeous dresses I had ever seen. I asked her where she got it, and when she told me she had made it, she became my life-long martyr. She was strong-willed and funny, plus she had an exceptional talent for sewing dresses of all kinds. The only thing I couldn't seem to like about her was Bernardo. He was the epitome of someone who couldn't find happiness in anything except fighting. Alas, I had learned to put up with them, and today was too nice of a day to think of them. There were only three things that could ruin today. One, if the rickety old fan sitting in front of me breaks and leaves me a melting mess. Two, if the troublemakers of town, the Sharks and Jets, decide today's the day to kill each other. Three, if Anita asks me...

"Do you want to go dancing tonight?"

I guess that's what I get for testing my luck. Anita giggles as I groan. She knows I can't say no, so I smile and nod. She squeals and reaches across the counter to wrap me in a hug. "Meet me at my place, dress nice, and be prepared to dance!" she says, swinging the door of the shop open. The bells jingle sweetly as the door closes, only for it to open again. "When I say nice, I mean something modern." She winks playfully and finally leaves. In the quiet of the store, I'm left with my thoughts. I hate dancing. I know how, but I feel like I'm one step away from falling or getting injured every time I do, especially with how crazy the mixers can get. The swirling skirts, dancing next to someone who looks like they'd rather die than be on the same floor as you. I wouldn't have to worry though, since I didn't have a date. I'd probably spend the night sitting in the gym bleachers or walking some hallway. Stuck in my thoughts, I hardly realized how late it was getting. I looked at the clock and gathered my things to lock up, seeing the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 6:00, I walked to Anita's. I was wearing my nicest dress; one my mother had given me before she passed. I made my way up the rickety stairs of Anita's apartment as she was walking out of her apartment door. She looked me up and down before muttering, "This, amor, is not modern." She grabbed my arm, dragged me into her apartment, and threw a dress at me. "Put this on, Nardo will be here in a few." She said, closing the door behind her. I picked the dress up she had thrown at me and held it against my figure in the mirror. It was a stunning array of pastel pinks and reds. I quickly changed out of my original dress and slipped on the new one. It fit like a glove, and as I slowly spun in the mirror, I began to feel the magic of a night of dance. I slipped on my shoes and burst out of the door, striking a pose to Anita's delight. As we giggled over accessories and makeup, Bernardo walked in. His strong energy seemed to fill the room. "Are we ready? You both take too long." Bernardo said with a huff, obviously unamused by our antics. Anita gave him a quick peck on the cheek while wrapping her arm around his. He smiled as he led her out the door. I followed behind at a respectful distance.

I recalled my thoughts of Anita and Bernardo from earlier while we walked. They were perfect for each other, no one could doubt it. His rough and tumble personality, her passion and stubbornness. Not only that, but she also had Bernardo wrapped around her perfectly manicured finger. She could tell him to quit boxing, and if she said it nicely enough, he'd do it. They were perfect for each other. It made me jealous sometimes watching them, but I was more focused on my shop. I only needed a few more big tailor jobs to make it out. It wasn't that I disliked where I was living, but I hated the constant fear of the Jets deciding which store to vandalize and how there seemed to be the impending knowledge of a rumble. Don't misconstrue this, I don't think the Sharks are any better than the Jets, but I'd seen too many thriving businesses disappear because the Jets refused to let anyone have a dream that wasn't theirs. It seemed like every day, someone was replacing a window or hugging their bags to their chests. "Hey, snap out of it." Anita said, clapping her hands in front of my face. I shook out of my thoughts, giving her a quizzical look. "We're here, do you want me to find someone for you to dance with? I'm sure I could find someone who wouldn't mind," she said, giving me her worried mother look, "you shouldn't have to stand on the sidelines every time we go out, especially looking as nice as you do." I smiled, waving her off. "I'll be fine, enjoy your night. I'll be right behind you." She nodded her head, keeping her worried look. It only changed to a smile when she looked at Bernardo and dragged him forward to match her pace. We walked through the echoey school hallways, the music in the gym blasting. The air seemed to fizz, like a freshly cracked soda. I put on a smile, held my head high, and walked through the door into the shining gym lights.