25. SENTIMENTAL PACKRAT

"Denis has the second ICARUS app in his office," Ray informed Evie and Vince through the coms. "If you can get to it, then you can disable BIG DOG."

Evie looked at Lear. "Ray says the backup satellite software's in your office."

Ray's voice crackled as it broke up, "The ICARUS software's inside.."

Vince and Evie tore off their headsets as an explosion of static blasted through their headphones. "Damn, we've lost the connection."Vince swore under his breath. "We don't have much time before BIG DOG finds us. Let's figure out where the device is after we make it there." Taking the weight off his injured foot, he leaned heavily on Evie and Lear. Sweat beaded his forehead as the three continued down the paneled hallway towards Lear's office.

Using an infrared palm scan, Lear opened his office door. "That's neat technology," Evie said, impressed.

Lear grimaced. "Right now it's working against us." Compared to Raymond's office, Lear's office was a sentimental testimonial to his family and his love of art. And his lack of organization. Pictures of Lear's wife and children lined the credenza behind his desk, along with various hand-made art projects done by childish hands. Financial reports and various tax manuals were piled up haphazardly on his desk.

Everything in Lear's office was out of place. "You and Sinclair are like the odd couple." Vince scowled at the mess. "He's anal and you're a disorganized slob." He picked up a half-eaten sandwich. "Jesus, you're disgusting." Accidentally bumping his toe, he yelled out in pain.

"This is my personal space," Lear said, defensively. "And it's tax season."

"Think, Mr. Lear," Evie said. "Where would Ray hide a device the size of a cell phone in your office?"

"Your boss is a moron, but he's not a disingenuous idiot. He hid the ICARUS software in your office for a reason," Vince said.

"He always joked that I was a sentimental pack rat." Lear admitted.

"This isn't a game!" Vince said, angrily. "Don't you realize Sinclair gave you the second app because no one could find anything in all this shit?" Outside in the hallway, they heard fast, heavy thuds as the mechanical dog swiftly approached.

"That thing is back!" Evie yelled. She ran forward and slammed the office door shut. Lear locked it with his finger prints. "Can it get in here?" She asked, fearfully.

"That thing could break into Fort Knox." Vince declared. "We're toast."

Lear looked at Evie blankly before it dawned on him. "Ray gave me a Rubik cube puzzle for my birth day. He told me he trusted me to never lose, or solve it." He rushed over to his desk. Frantically digging into his cabinet drawers, he pulled out the multicolor puzzle cube. "Here it is! What do we do with it?"

"We need to activate it —why is there sand in it? Evie said.

"How?" Lear cried.

"Give it to me!" Vince yelled. Lear tossed him the cube. "It has to be solved." A loud bang sounded as BIG DOG rammed the door with his head. Inside the office, Evie, Ray, and Vince heard an animatronic whir as the robot backed up, preparing to ram the metal door again.

"Hurry, Vince." Evie begged. Vince frantically rotated the blue, green, red, and white puzzle sections, his hands moving so fast they were a blur.