Chapter Twelve- Little Fairies

The little girl named Micayla tugged at my pant leg, begging silently for my attention. She had long brown hair, messy and unkept, long side bangs that covered one dark brown eye, and defined cheekbones- As defined as you can get with a 6 year old. Her dark black wings were spread out. They weren't as big as mine, but about half the size. My eyes instantly flew up to the glowing red Halo above her hair. It was just.. floating there. Was that even possible? Ignoring that thought, I looked down to her and patted her head. "Hi sweetie." I said, as nice as I can. These kids seemed to love me without even getting to know me at first, but I didn't wish to chase them away too soon. I was to take care of them, be their guardian angel. Micayla whimpered. I bent down, lightly picking her up. Damn, was she lightweight. She nestled her nose into my black hoodie and cried. I didn't know what to do. I haven't known her for more than 5 minutes, and she's crying. Speachless, I looked around for Mason. He was with a little black haired boy. He turned around and caught my eye. Smirking, he walked over to me, arms out in a hug for Micayla. His eyebrows rose in concern when he saw her. "What's wrong?" He asked her, in the kind of high pitched sweet voice you use when you're around sensitive little kids. Micayla just dug her face deeper into my hoodie, using her face to shield any possible sightings of what was visible of her face. She didn't respond. Mason looked up at me, a questioning glance in his eyes. "I swear, Mason.. I didn't do anything.. I wouldn't do anything to harm anyone here..." I said, keeping the concerned hint in my voice, so he didn't think that I was lying. He nodded, and his face dropped into a serious look. "I know. I've known you too well, Ms. Everheart. You wouldn't hurt anything, or anyone. Not even for food if we were stuck in the wilderness, stranded." He winked, as if that was some kind of inside joke that we've never shared. Putting one finger up, motioning that he'll be right back, he left the room. I rocked Micayla back and forth, but she continued to bury her head in my hoodie, making only silent sobbing noises. Her tears were seeping through my hoodie onto my bare arm. They were freezing cold, and stung, but I ignored the shock. Mason was back within five minutes. He was carrying a glass tank, with weeds at the bottom, and several flowers and sticks. It was similar to a butterfly cage. He walked back to me, smiling down at whatever was in the cage. As he got nearer, I heard little chirping noises, like little high-pitched voices, silent, but loud enough for me to hear. Mason sat down on the bleachers near me, and motioned for me to come join him. With Micayla in my arms, I did. I peeked inside the cage. I noticed several small and weak rainbow lights shining through the breaks in the grass and weeds. "Squeee.." A high pitched voice chirped from underneath a flower. Mason looked at me, chuckling. "Like them, Ms. Everheart? They're cute, are they not?" He said, looking back down at whatever they were. "What are they?" I questioned, realizing that Micayla had stopped sobbing and lifted her tear-soaked face, all pink, up to look at the cage. "The fairies! Mason! You brought them!" She squeeled, leaping out of my arms, into Mason's. Mason looked at me, grinning wide. "I like to refer to them as 'Our little fairies." He said, winking.