A Wee Bit Different

It's been several days after Hiccup and Toothless defeated Drago. Besides the fact that Berk was covered in ice, it was quite peaceful. Everyone was pretty content with life on Berk. Even Eret was happy. Ever since he turned to the dragon rider's side, he had been doing better. But of course, there was Pen who was totally against joining the dragon rider's side from the beginning. She was anything but happy to be on Berk.

It was a sunny day on the island, not a cloud in the blue sky. Pen walked through the village just looking for something to do. This was hard for her because almost every activity here had to do with dragons. She winced as a dragon race took place above her.

Even though she was bored and miserable, she walked through the village confidently. The reason she did this was because of a few simple reasons. She was taught to never show her weakness, to never stop walking and over the last few days, she couldn't miss the fact that everyone seemed to either scream, whisper or run away when she walked by. This made her...the center of attention and if there was one thing that made Pen angry, it was being the center of attention.

As Pen walked through the village, she suddenly felt eyes burning into the back of her skull. She turned around to see a little girl with her mother starring at her.

"What?!" Pen snapped aggressively.

The mother pulled the little girl close to protect her.

With an annoyed look, she walked off only to run into another starring person. She turned her head to see another, only to notice she was surrounded. She felt like a caged animal.

"What are you people looking at?!" She said to the crowd.

"What are you looking at?"

Pen looked over to see Eret at her side. He smiled at her. Pen just pushed through the crowd and stomped away. Eret quickly caught up to her.

"What was all that about?" He asked.

"What was what about?"

"You. Why were they all looking at you?"

She stopped. "Well Eret, if you haven't noticed, I'm just a wee bit different around here." She stated sarcastically.

"So?"

"So, everyone looks at me like I'm a freak, I weirdo! It's annoying and frustrating!"

"Well maybe if you join the dragon races and get involved, they'll think of you differently."

"I don't want anything to do with those stupid, filthy dragon riders!" She snapped and began to walk off again.

"I'm a dragon rider." Eret said. Pen stopped in her tracks. "It's kinda fun, the dragon race." He said. "I think you'd like it."

Pen shook her head and kept on walking. She went home where she could relax and get away from all the people. All those annoying, starring people.

She fell on her bed, starring at the celling.

"Why do they call me that?" Pen thought. "Freak, Weirdo, Not normal...Monster. I'm just as normal as they are...right?" She looked over at her dresser and saw a drawn picture of her and Eret. She drew this picture. (Yes, Pen is a very good artist.) "You're the only one who really understands me, Eret. No one else but you....if only," She looked back at the celling. "If only people could like me as much as you do."

-------------------------.

Pen fell asleep on her bed and was awaked by the front door close. She looked out her window and saw the dark sky and the full bright moon.

"Did I really sleep that long?" Pen thought.

"Hey," Eret walked into her room. (Eret and Pen shared a house because they couldn't afford their own, but they had separate beds, of course.)

"Hey," Pen replied. "Sorry I-uhh- called you a stupid dragon rider."

"It's ok. I know this a different environment for you and you really can't cope well with it." He said as he sat on Pen's bed with her.

"Yup,"

"But I really think you should join the dragon race. It'll help you get used to the island...and the people on it. Plus, they'll think of you differently when you win."

"How?"

"It'll show them that you're one of them. You have to get involved if you want to fit in, Pen."

She sighed. "I don't know about dragon racing." She said, sitting up. "But I'll try handball. I know they have two teams on Berk." She smiled.

He smiled back. "Yeah, that'll work! I'm sure you'll make a good goalie."

"Yeah, yeah I guess so."

------------------.