Chapter 2

Rose stood in the kitchen making pancakes when she heard her door to her apartment open. She turned just in time to be collided with her 5 year old daughter, "hello my sweet. Did you have a good night with grandpa?"

Sloane nodded, "I did! We watched Sing and ate ice cream!"

Rose laughed as she looked up at her dad, Paul, as he kissed her on the cheek. She looked back at Sloane, "well go get changed, we have to leave in a bit." She looked back at her dad, "thanks for taking her."

Paul shrugged, "of course love. Anytime. How was your date?" He looked around, smirking, "was almost worried we would run into someone leaving."

Rose rolled her eyes, "you know I never bring guys here daddy. And my date stood me up."

"Oh, I'm sorry love. You bought a new dress and everything." He sat at the counter as she handed him a plate of pancakes. He watched her, "but you met someone else?"

Rose laughed, "you always know. Yes and no. He was just a distraction, nothing more. Certainly not a guy I'd ever consider bringing around Sloane."

"Why not?"

She scoffed as she leaned towards him, "because it was Ransom Drysdale."

He nodded, "oh. I see. Most eligible bachelor of Boston and he knows it."

Rose sighed, "yeah. I didn't even tell him about Sloane. But it doesn't matter, I won't be seeing him again. Sloane! Come on!" She shouted as she set another plate of pancakes next to Paul. She smiled as she watched Sloane come out in a pink dress with her hair brushed, "well don't you look pretty today."

Paul laughed, "I can take her to daycare if you need me to. I don't mind." He looked around the apartment, "and when are you going to let me get you a bigger place. A house?"

Rose shook her head adamantly, "no daddy. I don't need your help. The only thing I ever need from you is for you to take this one from time to time."

Paul sighed as he stood up, "you know I'm more than happy to do that whenever you like. I should go. I'll see you girls later."

She nodded as she watched him kiss Sloane on the cheek before kissing her, "thanks daddy."

🌹🌹🌹🌹

Rose sat at her desk when she heard her phone buzzing. She looked to see an unknown number, knowing who it was right away. She laughed, saving the contact as she looked at the message.

Ransom
I missed you in my bed last night
Can I see you again?

I don't think that's a good idea Mr. Drysdale

Ransom
So you know who I am?

Of course I do

Ransom
If you don't want to go out with me, why did you leave your number?

A moment of impulsive weakness
That's all
The whole night was

Ransom
LOL
I'm not used to being on this side of the hookup
You leave and don't sleep with me
You deny me taking you out on a proper date
I don't know what to do

I'm sure you'll figure it out

Ransom
You have me at a disadvantage
You know my last name but I don't know yours

And you won't
I actually have work to do
Goodbye Ransom

Ransom
I hope you think of me when you see that red dress
. . .
You're all I can think about

Then get a hobby

She giggled to herself as she turned off her phone, placing it in her desk.

🌹🌹🌹

Ransom sighed as he pulled into the driveway of the Thrombey mansion on Sunday afternoon. He sauntered his way inside as he continued to think about Rose and the events of the night before. He almost ran into the maid, Fran, as he entered the study. He mumbled an apology as he plopped into a chair across from his grandfather Harlan as he sat at his desk.

"Ransom. What ails you?"

He didn't say anything as he fiddled with his pinky ring, twirling it around his finger. He heard Harlan laugh, making him look up at him, "what?"

"It's a woman. Finally meet one that sees past your charm?"

Ransom rolled his eyes, "something like that." He leaned towards the desk, "most women are easy grandfather. This woman is determined to make me work for it."

Harlan shrugged, "or you finally found a girl that just isn't interested in you Ransom."

Ransom grumbled as he stood up at the announcement of dinner, hearing Harlan laugh at him again as he followed him out of the study, into the dining room. He sighed, kissing his mother on the cheek before taking his normal seat.

Linda watched her son as they began to eat dinner, "you're uncharacteristically reserved tonight Ransom."

He glanced at his mother as he shrugged, "I'm fine."

"Probably tired from the girl he took home from the bar a couple nights ago."

Ransom glared at his cousin Meg, "what do you know about that?"

Meg shrugged, "I saw you walking hand in hand with an attractive brunette who I must say, is way out of your league. I saw you get into your car and drive off."

"Seriously?" Linda exclaimed as she stopped eating to look at her son, "don't you think you're getting too old to be taking random women home? You're almost 30 Ransom."

He rolled his eyes, "how do you know it was a random woman? How do you know it wasn't my girlfriend?" He heard Harlan snicker as he looked up at him, shaking his head.

"Girlfriend?" Linda grinned, "if you have a girlfriend, then where is she?"

He stared down at his plate, "you think I want to subject Rose to all of you?"

Linda laughed, "well you will. Next weekend. Bring your girlfriend to Sunday dinner."

Ransom groaned, not looking at anyone. "Fine." He had no idea how he was to convince Rose to pretend to be his girlfriend for an afternoon.