Karaoke

Jay had already sang in his life. In school, in the shower, sometimes for with his father.

He had however never sang like that.

The karaoke place had several rooms, with different sizes and different themes. The group of friends ended up un a medium sized one, which theme was vampire.

The decoration was amazing. Red neons lightened the place, sometimes twitching. There were some plastic insects on the walls and the snacks were all disgusting looking, yet very tasty.

"What does this switch do?" asked Niki, pointing at the wall.
"You can not touch everything like that" commented Sunoo.

Weirdly, it was as if Niki hadn't heard anything. Next thing the friends knew, a click resonated in the room and the red lights turned off, only to let black lights shine instead.

"Wow" whispered Jungwon.
"Look at Jake's shirt" said Sunghoon, amazed.

Jake's white shirt was glowing bright in the room.

"And the shoe laces!" added Niki, excited.

The atmosphere had changed, and it really felt cool. The decorations had hidden secrets that had been invisible before. Now, under the black light they had all been revealed: highlights on the insects, drawings on the table and words on the walls.

"Who sings first?" asked Sunoo, apparently more concentrated on the karaoke tablet on the table.
"You can start" said Jungwon.

No one contradicted him, nor asked to be first instead of Sunoo. Jay tilted his head.

Jungwon definitely is the leader.

Sunoo started with Pretty U by Seventeen. Even though he was the one with the microphone, every one sang along, dramatically dancing around him.

It was such an amazing experience for Jay. He didn't have to think about what to do or to say. Things came.... Naturally.

After the first song, they heard some knocks on the door, and a young man entered the room.

"Hee!" shouted Jake, a big smile on his lips.
"Sorry I'm late" instantly said the newcomer.
"We were expecting that" laughed Niki.

Heeseung rolled his eyes, but didn't contradict Niki. He was right after all.

"Next song, next song!" said Niki, hearing the first notes.
"This one is mine!" said Jake, grabbing the microphone. "Hee, sing with me."

Heeseung didn't hesitate for even a second.
The two friends sang a Justin Bieber song ghat Jay knew, yet couldn't remember the name.

"What do you want to sing then?" asked Jungwon.

Jay turned around, at first unsure that he had asked him. However, Jungwon's intense gaze directly pointed at him couldn't leave any doubts.

"I don't really know" answered Jay. "Maybe some One Ok Rock?"
"Oh nice!" replied Jungwon. "You should say that to Niki."
"Why?" asked Jay, curious.
"Trust me" simply answered Jungwon, side smiling.

Jay looked at him suspiciously. Being in a room with black lights added something quite weird yet exciting to their talks.
And Jungwon's smile only shone brighter.

Sunoo gave the tablet to Jay, showing him how to add a song. Jay soon clicked on New Beginning of One Ok Rock. Satisfied, he passed the tablet to Jungwon.
He didn't look at what song the latter would choose. He wanted the suspense.

The first notes of his song started and before he could sing anything, Jay heard Niki screaming.

"It's a Japanese group" he said, extremely excited.
"Want to sing with me?" asked Jay, giving the latter the second microphone.

Niki took it and the both of them sang together.

"Your Japanese was really good" said Niki at the end of the song, impressed.
"I watched a lot of anime growing up, so I eventually learned" explained Jay.
"That is so cool!" replied Niki. "I'm Japanese actually."
"Awesome!" said Jay. "How come you live in Korea now?"

Niki went on explaining how his parents had moved in Korea when he was 13 years old. He had spent his teen years here, which he loved, but  he also missed Japan every day.

They talked naturally, unaware of a proud Jungwon watching them from behind until his own song came up.

This time, as the first notes started, everyone stopped talking in the room. They all knew the song. Jay looked at Jungwon. The latter was grabbing his microphone very tightly, almost shaking.

It's Butterfly of BTS.

Jungwon started singing and Jay felt like someone had just slapped him on the face. Jungwon's voice was inexplicably beautiful. It had a special tone that Jay had never heard before.
Jungwon went on singing the tragic lyrics, a desperate note on his voice.

As if he had lived this pain himself.

The chorus was the hardest for Jay. Jungwon showed that he could sing in a high range beautifully, yet it wasn't enough to cover all that was happening inside Jay.

"Will you stay by my side
Will you promise me
If I let go of your hand, you'll fly away and break"

Jay felt his heart getting heavier.
Somewhere, deep down.

No. I shouldn't.

Somewhere, deep down, Jay hoped that Jungwon

No, Jay.

Somewhere, deep down, Jay hoped that Jungwon was scared to loose him.

Just like he was scared of loosing Jungwon.