Chapter Two: Offbeat

Another nearly sleepless night. It didn't make sense, if anything he should be sleeping better. The strange dreams he used to have had stopped months earlier. He should be grateful, the dreams had always bothered him. hey where confusing and sometimes unsettling. Like tiny glimpses into another world, one where he was only ever on the sidelines. He hadn't like the dreams, or at least he had always told himself that.

But now that they had stopped, it bothered him twice as much as any of the dreams had.

He wanted to see them again. The people that where in his dreams. Most of them where a few years younger than him. The girl with the purple hair who was in almost every dream, the boy with the long black hair, the boy with the short brown hair, the girl with the green hair. They had all had streaks of black in their hair. But most of all he remembered the blue haired boy, the red haired girl, and the girl with the pure white hair. The girl with the white hair was the only one he could remember the details of their face. He remembered how her snowy hair had become streaked in black until it was almost half and half when the dreams stopped.

Who where they? He felt an almost sort of connection with them, but as far as he knew they probably wheren't real. Just characters his mind had dreamed up to keep him entertained with his boring life. The boy reached a hand up to his hair, running his fingers through his golden locks. Surely he was over thinking all this. It was just a dream, right? Still he couldn't be sure. He also once thought he was just a normal kid, but that had been disproved a pretty long while ago.

"Hey, you alright Rune?" a quite voice interrupted his thoughts. 

He looked up to see his one and only true friend leaning against his open door. She must have let herself in. Rune didn't respond for a second. She looked so perfect standing there, she always looked perfect though. 

"Oh yeah, I'm fine," he smiled, "just lost in thought."

She nodded, "your lost in thought a lot these days. Just what exactly are you thinking about?"

He shrugged, "the dreams I used to have."

She perked up a bit at the mention of his dreams. He always used to to tell her about them, and she always seemed to love to listen. In fact she seemed to love to listen to any story. "Did you have another one?" she couldn't keep her hope out of her voice.

"No. Sorry, Theora. Still nothing." Rune gave her an apologetic smile.

"Oh," Theora only managed to hide most of her disappointment.

The heard the downstairs door open and close gently. Rune and Theora headed down stairs to meet the new arrival.

"Hey dad," Rune said with a little wave.

Theora nodded her greeting.

"Good morning you two," the man said with a weary smile.

"And good night to you dad," Rune laughed, "you worked all night, go get some rest."

He smiled, "thanks Rune," and then headed off to his bedroom.

Rune headed outside, wanting to make sure he didn't make any noise that might keep his dad awake.

"It's finally warm again," he smiled as he stepped out side. They where now standing in front of the small and simple house. It was nice compared to the others in town, a bit more secluded and private. Rune's dad worked hard to afford this place and raise his son on his own. "Come on lets go for a walk," he laughed heading toward the forest.

"Whatever," Theora shrugged her shoulders and followed him. Her hair blew gently in the soft breeze. Rune thought he could look at her all day, with her natural grace. She was beautiful even though she wasn't trying to be. He turned around and kept walking, not wanting to be caught staring. He knew he had feelings for her, but she had never shown any signs of returning those affections.