Chapter 1

Welcome, amazing reader! Whether this is the first book of mine you're reading or my tenth, it's great to have you with me.

My last few titles have been quite epic - Curves Ahead, Rich Girl Poor Girl, True North - so I'm hoping this is going to be a bit of a lighter tale, involving sexual tension, luxury settings, and a divine hero who needs the right woman to rescue him :)

Those who've read my short story, Sealed with a Kiss, will know that I used to work in a marine park, and my husband was a dolphin trainer. I have a true affinity for the ocean and the creatures that live there - I'm looking forward to exploring some marine themes in this book.

Are you read to dive in?

"The sea is a temperamental creature; one moment you'll think know everything there is to know about her, the next, she'll change on you like that."

Kurt Isaacs clicks his fingers at the camera, the ocean wild behind him.  He stands on the bow of his boat, and his deep blue eyes reflect the squall building over the water.  He grins fearlessly and says, "But who would want life to be predictable anyway?  Am I right, mate?"

He speaks to the boy beside him, who stands on the bottom rung of the railing and looks out to sea with an expression of pure delight on his face.  The boy says, "Too right, Dad!  We don't do boring!"

Kurt ruffles the boy's hair.  "I love you, Kai.  We're a great team."

Kai smiles and looks into the camera, a natural host even at ten years old.  "Thanks, Dad.  It's like being on a boat — it's always more fun when everything goes up and down, because still water means you aren't going anywhere!"

Kurt says, "That's why this week we're searching for some of the ocean's most unpredictable creatures.  Join us on our quest to defend the deep, and maybe, you'll discover along the way that change can be a good thing..."

***

Aria was prepared to flash her boobs to the bouncer; that's how desperately she needed to get into the VIP fundraiser.  She felt as though she looked the part of a guest, in a sea-foam green gown that floated around her lithe figure.  Although she'd have to drink white wine and water all night — the dress needed to go back to the department store in the morning, the tags tucked carefully against the pale skin of her back.

She paused by the side of hotel lobby and stared into a water feature, trying to still her swirling thoughts.  Remember why you're doing this — for the dolphins.  This was her last ditch attempt to secure a sponsor for her business proposal; every other traditional lead had run dry. 

It's fine, she thought to herself, shaking her beach-wavy hair around her shoulders, the icy blonde strands like a tumbling white waterfall.  Sneak in, find a compassionate and wealthy sponsor, woo them with my charm...  Well, that part might be a little more difficult.  Aria wasn't a great conversationalist, but to save her dolphins, she'd do whatever it took.

Balancing on her crystal-studded heels, Aria tottered towards the entrance of the grand ballroom.  All around the hotel foyer, other glamourous women stalked along easily on stilettos twice the size of hers, as if they certainly didn't spend all day every day in surf sandals or barefoot.  Aria felt like a literal fish-out-of-water, a flapping, stranded minnow among soaring eagles.

Stop it!  Think positive - here we go.  The ballroom had two large doors, an entrance and an exit, both guarded by men the size of ogres, the two of them practically bursting out of their formal suits.  Behind them was the Promised Land; the annual Isaacs ball, the hottest event on the charity calendar, where wealthy Australian philanthropists gathered to throw money at the chosen cause of the night.  Elegantly dressed people meandered between elegantly dressed tables, while a band played toned-down versions of top 100 hits.