Chapter 2

"The octopus is a master of disguise." Kurt stands in front of a large aquarium tank.

Through the glass, Kai's face is visible on the opposite side. "I give up, Dad! Where is he?"

Kurt reaches into the tank and gently prods the side of an ordinary looking rock. Part of the rock detaches itself grumpily, and an annoyed looking octopus swims away. Kai exclaims, "Whoa! That's so cool! How does he do that?"

"Well, my son, the octopus has thousands of colour-changing cells known as chromatophores just beneath the surface of its skin. And it can even change its texture from bumps to spikes using projections on its skin called papillae."

Kai stares dreamily after the disgruntled cephalopod. "I wish I could change like that."

Kurt laughs and claps a hand on his son's shoulder. "Octopuses use camouflage mostly as protection from predators, which you don't really need to worry about, Kai. They can flatten themselves to the ocean floor and resemble sand, or blend in seamlessly with seaweed. The Mimic Octopus can even use its superior disguising abilities to pretend to be other animals, like flounders, lionfish, and sea snakes." Kurt looks knowingly at the camera. "Sometimes, life requires us to pretend to be something we're not."

***

"Aria..." Kai spoke her name out loud, tasting it on his tongue, the way he hoped to taste her later. Feeling his body react of its own accord, he crossed his legs and tried to act casual. "A pleasure. Now, do you want to tell me how you managed to gate-crash my party tonight?"

Her delicate lips fell open in surprise, and Kai felt a savage burst of smugness from calling her out. He cocked his head and said, "I'm right, aren't I? I know everyone who received a personal invite, and if you were a plus-one, I doubt you'd be swanning around attempting to chat up old men like Gil."

A normal girl would have rushed to explain herself, gushing apologies and fawning for forgiveness. Aria clearly wasn't an average woman. She folded slender arms over the gentle swell of her chest and leaned back, analysing him coolly. She stared at him in silence, not even the barest attempt to justify herself.

It unnerved him. After about ten seconds, Kai broke. "Okay, fine, you don't have to tell me anything. But seriously, if you're looking for help with a cause, you should run it past me. I might be able to direct you to a good contact, so you don't have to spend the rest of the night wasting your time pitching to guys who are more interested in getting into your pants rather than your cause."

She gave him a look, and he knew exactly what it meant. "Yeah, I tried some moves too, I'll admit it. But I'm here to help now." He forced himself to stand. So far in the space of an hour, Aria had managed to sweep in and throw his world off balance. If he didn't find equal ground, he'd only embarrass himself further. "So, what do you say? Come outside for a quiet drink with me to discuss your pitch? Unless you don't really care about your cause...."

He shrugged as if he didn't really give a damn either way, but inside, his heart was pounding. What the hell do I do if she says no? His throat clenched tightly at the thought of having to walk away, but he turned and prepared to do so.

"Dolphins."

There. Her melodic voice that matched her giggle. Even just a single word was enough to halt Kai where he stood, causing him to spin awkwardly back to face her. "Wha... what?"

"Dolphins." She held his gaze with her glowing eyes and said, "I work with dolphins. That's my cause."

Kai released a breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding. "Dolphins. Okay. Come and tell me all about them."