Chapter One: Sophie

Chapter One: Sophie

I grabbed my keys to my white Toyota FT-HS Hybrid. I tucked my long light brown strands of hair behind one ear and my brown eyes constantly watched our surroundings. My best friend, and second, Mike walked next to me. Mike kept next to no distance in-between the two of us. It was his job to protect me and he did a very good job at it. Before we climbed into my car Mike grabbed my keys from me and opened the passenger side door for me.

“I don’t think so.” I said, frustrated, with one hand on my hip. Mike pleaded with his blue eyes and he ran his hands over his short cut hair. My breath caught and my heart sped up. He always had this effect on me.

“Please Sophie.” He begged and put his hands on my hips and pulled me close to him I smiled and my train of thought disappeared. I knew that we could never be anything more than friends, but I could wish.

“Fine, but just this once. It’s my car you know.” I mumbled and he kissed my forehead.

“I know. I want to drive to the first day of our senior year though.” He said smiling a fake smile.

“Ok. Now tell me the truth.” I said and added a hint of power in my voice. He growled and lowered his eyes as he backed up.

“I don’t want for you to seem weak. We may run into things that we don’t want to get the wrong impression.” He said bighting back a snarl. He hated it when I reminded him that I was the Alpha. I was the first female Alpha ever and oh how I flaunted it. Mike turned and started to walk towards the driver’s side. I jumped up and started after him when something hit me from behind. I let out a startled yelp and flipped over, pinning the stranger to the ground. The stranger was a man about 6’ 5 and he had dark brown hair and eyes to match. I let out a snarl and the man bared his neck, a sign of submission.

“Sophie!” Mike yelled and the guy under me snapped at my neck. I jumped off of him and Mike immediately pulled the guy up by his throat. Mike was shaking he was so mad and he looked to me to make sure I was ok. I smiled a half smile and he put the stranger down but kept him in a headlock.

“Who are you and what do you want?” I growled with power lacing throughout my voice.

“It’s me, Warren, and I suggest you have you mutt put me down Miss. Sophia.” The guy with dark hair growled and my face paled.

“Warren?” I whispered and with one motion of my hand Mike dropped him. Warren smiled and walked towards me, only to get stopped when Mike stepped in-between us and let out a long string of growls. I smiled at my protective second and put my hand on his shoulder. His arm reflexively wrapped around me and pulled me close. We both new Warren but we had not seen him in about eight years. Warren was my ex-boyfriend who left the pack the day I became Alpha because I refused to make him my mate. It’s not like I could help it, I mean he wasn’t my true mate, we fought all the time and the only time we weren’t fighting was when we were making out. We never just talked and the final straw was when he cheated on me with my only female friend.