𝐓𝐖𝐎. 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥

Crystal Winter Frost

"Crystal Crystal Crystal Crystal Crystal!!!" Alanna shouted and ran toward me. I had just arrived in the most beautiful country by the sea—Arendelle. I had packed a suitcase with trembling hands, and snuck out to the stables that night amidst a terrible blizzard. Then, I took Dad's spare sleigh and asked the polar bears to silently take me away from Ahtohallan. It seemed like Arendelle was the best destination, and I was glad the bears sent me here.

I know, I could've just stayed up in Ahtohallan and waited for Mom and Dad like a good girl. But the glacier couldn't protect me from fear for long. Besides, I was getting worried, and a girl can't stay in a giant ice fortress on her own for too long.

Conceal, don't feel. A part of my brain reminded me. Mom and Dad are alright. They're just late--Dad probably played a prank on someone that went too far, and now poor Mom has to fix it.

But what kind of prank takes three weeks to fix, and is so time-consuming that Mom and Dad don't even write to say that they'll be late?

I walked towards my overhexcited cousin and gave her a tiny wave. "Hey, Alanna."

My exuberant cousin pulled me into a tight embrace. "It's been much too long since we last saw each other! Oh, Crystal, how have you been?"

I swallowed. "I've been alright." I chuckled softly.

That was a lie.

Alanna gave me a Look. "Crystal...don't lie to me. I know you're unhappy about Aunt and Uncle's prolonged absence, but I promise they'll be back soon.."

"I swear I'm fine, Alanna."

There was no way I was letting Alanna worry about me or my parents; she had enough on her plate already.

I fidgeted with my freeze gun as we walked past the gates of the castle. "Arendelle looks so much prettier in the winter. Looks like this place needs some snow! "

With that, I used my gun to make a snowball, then threw it at Alanna. Hey, I'm not only Elsa's daughter—my dad's the Guardian of Fun! I thought.

My spirits sank when my parents came to mind, but I had already thrown the snowball. Alanna opted for punching me on my shoulder upon realizing she wouldn't be able to retaliate with another.

"Ow!" I shrieked, and she burst into a fit of giggles. I rolled my eyes, "Don't make me throw another snowball again."

"Don't you dare!" Alanna narrowed her eyes at me, still smiling.

Once we entered the main hall of the castle, I was engulfed in yet another bone-crushing hug by none other than my aunt and uncle, Queen Anna and King Consort Kristoff Bjorgman. What is with this family and warm hugs? I thought to myself. Oh right, Olaf.

Speak of the snowman. Olaf traipsed into the castle with Sven.

"Hey guys," I waved. "It's great to see you again!"

To keep up the playful act, I plucked Olaf's nose off and fed it to Sven.

"Hey!" Olaf exclaimed.

"Who said I was done?" I gave him a small smile and held up my gun. I changed it to icicle mode and made a new nose shaped just like his old one.

"This visit was completely unannounced," Aunt Anna said, giving me a Look. I groaned internally—family was always so good at seeing right through you.

I simply shrugged and said, "I called Alanna yesterday."

"Alright, then," Aunt Anna chuckled. "I've got something to tell you both later—it's a surprise!"

Olaf stepped in between Aunt Anna and me. "Can I guess why you're here?"

I shrugged. "Why not?"

Olaf's eyes twinkled. "Is it because your parents went away on a trip and you don't know when they are coming back and you didn't want to stay cooped up in Ahtohallan with fear surrounding the glacier and nobody to protect you from it so you came to Arendelle to avoid your fear and loneliness?"

"That was a...great guess, Olaf," I responded awkwardly.

With that, Olaf bounced away. "Awesome! Come on, Sven, let's go find some carrots and resume our quest on finding Samantha,"

Alanna shook her head at the snowman and the reindeer. Meanwhile, Aunt Anna was still processing what Olaf had said. "First things first, you should unpack your luggage, Crystal, and both you and Alanna can meet me in my bedroom." She hugged me again and left the main hall, Alanna following right behind her.

Uncle Kristoff helped me bring my luggage up to my bedroom. There wasn't much to carry, though—I usually stayed over in summer.

When all my luggage was moved upstairs, I started unpacking.

After unpacking my few possessions, I was just about to close the suitcase when I noticed something. It was a picture of Dad, Mom, and me.

In the picture, Mom was trying to look dignified, so her left hand was placed in her signature pose. However, Dad was the complete opposite, and used his fingers to make bunny ears on my head while leaning on his staff. Because of this, Mom was suppressing a burst of laughter and rolling her eyes. I was around ten years old in the picture, and I was laughing at both Mom and Dad.

Sometimes I wondered how they got along. Except for their powers, they were polar opposites. Mom was always serious and dignified. She rarely stopped working to let loose and have fun—all work and no play. Dad, on the other hand, was very active. He didn't do much work and could care less about our kingdom's matters—he chose to leave that to Mom. That was why he would always have the time for snowball fights and hockey matches—all play and no work.

My mother told me that my powers weren't a curse. She said she had to learn that the hard way, but all would be thawed with love. She had given me my skates and my wand, and taught me how to control my powers with the wand.

Dad had given me my gun and my hockey stick. He told me a little fun and games once in a while would heal me and strengthen my imagination—it was fun to chuck a snowball and start up a game of hockey anywhere, because happiness and fun were important things in life. He told me that if I used my powers for good, I could bring the world laughter and joy. All I had to do was believe in myself.

They said they would always be there for me.

I had lost my grandparents already, way before I was born. I didn't want to lose my parents like my mother lost hers. I hoped that they were alright.

I cautiously placed the picture on my dressing table. "Please come home soon," I looked longingly at it, as if something from the picture could bring them back.

"I need you."