Chapter-7

◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆
The aroma of freshly made tea filled the house. Naina tugged the saree over her head making sure it was placed properly. She then took the tray and went to the living room where her in-laws were seated.

"What took you so long?" Her mother in law questioned sharply.

"I was preparing tea" Naina answered, not meeting her mother in laws gaze.

"Remember to wake up earlier next time," she said before taking hold of the teacup and serving her husband.

Nirmala took a sip from the teacup and tasted the tea. The next moment she threw the cup on the floor, glaring at Naina.

The cup clattered on the floor before breaking into several pieces.

"Is this tea? Does it even taste like one? Don't you know how to handle the kitchen?" Nirmala yelled at Naina.

Naina flinched unable to comprehend what went wrong. She had prepared the tea with great care. She didn't miss out on anything.

"Be thankful that we didn't take any dowry from your father. If we knew you were so worthless then we would have surely demanded money" Nirmala scoffed.

Tears pooled into Naina's eyes. Now she understood the reason why her parents had agreed to the marriage. Why they had pushed their daughter to be the second wife. It was all due to dowry. Her parents felt it easier to send the burden called Naina out of their house without a dowry.

"Clean this up and make one more cup of tea" Nirmala ordered before mumbling ungrateful things.

Naina picked the broken pieces of the cup with teary eyes. She didn't bother even if the pieces cut her skin. All that mattered was that she was alone in this house! Nobody had her back.

After all the taunts from her mother in law, Naina headed towards the small room made for worship.

Nirmala had specially asked Naina to sit for the pooja. (veneration)

The priest or pandit began the chantings and lit the holy fire. The fire seemed to be reluctant. It flickered with a gloomy atmosphere. Suddenly a fierce wind blew, killing the flames.

The onlooker's eyes widened. Such things were considered to be a bad omen. Naina felt strange. She felt a pair of eyes staring at her intently.

It was not long before the fire was lit again and the ceremony was continued. She took part wholeheartedly and prayed piously. She was a selfless woman, unlike her greedy in-laws.

The plate containing the offering was brought from the kitchen. The delicious sweet was covered by a thin cloth.

Nirmala took the plate with a smile and gently uncovered it. Her smile instantly fell and was replaced by a horrified look.

There was a lizard in the holy offering. Gasps and murmurs were sounded all across the room. Things seemed to be going downhill for the Roy family.

Bad luck seemed to loom large in the house. A dark aura surrounded the house that prevented positivity from entering.

Nirmala put the whole blame on Anandi in an attempt to save her house's prestige. The housemaid just stood in the corner unable to bear the blame.

Anandi was well aware of Nirmala's cruel heart. She could do anything to save her name or her reputation. Many a time, Anandi had accompanied Nirmala on her unholy deeds. She regretted doing those but what's done couldn't be undone.

Now all she could do was bow her head and take the blame. Though Nirmala would apologise later, she never meant the apology. She would reward Anandi for keeping quiet. That's how life was in the Roy mansion. It was comprised of secrets, cruelty and a lot more things of which Naina was unaware. She was yet to discover that one dark secret that would turn the Roy mansion upside down.

◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆°◆