VI.

You have got to be kidding me!

I turned the ignition again, getting a sputtering sound from the engine in response. I groaned, checking my phone to see that it was ten o'clock. Mom wasn't working tonight, so she would be able to help.

I dialed her number, waiting for her to pick up. It kept ringing until it went to voicemail. I cursed, calling her a couple of more times before groaning in defeat. My mom may have fallen asleep. Mom was a heavy sleeper, it took a lot to wake her up. It was why she had several alarms in the morning.

Not like I'm any better, but still. She was so not going to hear the end of this.

Knowing I needed to check out the damage, I got out of my car, shivering at the cool temperature. It definitely got colder since I left Garrett's. I quickly grabbed my red scarf to ward off some of the chill.

"At least you're in a nice neighborhood," I muttered to myself as I opened up the hood, coughing at the smoke hitting my face. "Great. Just fucking great."

I stared at the engine, having no idea what to do next and not stupid enough to touch anything. I looked at my phone, thinking about who else to contact. I didn't have anyone else's number and didn't know any tow companies. I could call Garrett and see if he could help me out.

"Need some help?"

I squealed in fright, my heart racing when I saw Xavier next to me wearing a heavy jacket. I gaped at him, spinning around to look at the empty street.

"What the fuck? How did you– What are you doing here?"

Xavier ignored my questions, looking over the truck. "This is a really old model. You're lucky it hadn't given out years ago. You gotta take it to the shop."

"Why thank you, genius. I didn't think of that." I mocked, letting my frustration through.

Xavier raised his hands in surrender, amusement filling his eyes. I was going to smack him soon.

I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Sorry about that. I'm just stressed. If you may excuse me, I'm going to contact a tow truck. See you at school, Xavier."

I turned my back to him, promptly dismissing him as I pretended to examine the engine like I knew what the fuck I was doing.

"I know a guy. I can call them for you?" Xavier offered.

I forced myself not to whip my head in his direction with eagerness. Something in me said he would like that too much for my taste. Instead, I let out a hum of disinterest.

"Could you? I don't want to impose on your evening."

I swore I heard a snort, but I refused to look in his direction. I fanned at the smoke while Xavier made the call. I finally looked in his direction when he hung up.