IV.

Be polite

Be polite. Don't snap.

I eyed Damon, who was gathering his things to leave for lunch.

It's been a week since I met Damon in the library, and I hadn't received a single message about our project. At first, I told myself to give him a pass, no matter how much I wanted to pester him. Lately, he'd been scowlier than usual. Both he and Xavier had been keeping to themselves even more than usual, deep in their thoughts. They practically had a sign screaming 'stay away'.

And no, I haven't been watching them. That would be creepy.

And, unfortunately, I'd always been terrible with following signs.

Besides, our project was due in a week and we had to present it. I didn't want to stress about it or do all the work.

I sidestepped in the middle of the aisle to block Damon. Damon gave me a harsh glare, but instead I smirked.

No, smile, Maria. Remember to be polite.

I force my mouth to widen into a large smile. "Hey, Damon. I need a moment of your time, please."

Damon gave me a strange look before grabbing his phone. I tilted my head as he began typing before showing me his screen.

"Why are you smiling at me like that? It's creepy," I read and held back my scoff. "No, I'm being polite and civil. I'm just smiling at you." I responded by giving him a wider smile.

Damon typed again before showing the message to me.

"You look like the Joker," I glared at him and his text. "You know what, I am being fucking polite. Let me be fucking polite." I snapped.

Damon raised a brow before giving me another message. "That didn't last long."

I throw my hands up in the air before swatting his phone away. Why was he using his phone when I knew he could talk?

He's taking the silent type way too seriously.

"Whatever. I wanted to talk to you about the project. You still haven't told me the parts you were going to cover. And based on your thumbing rapidly moving across the screen, you can text just fine." I gestured to his phone.

"Be a normal teenager and wait until the last minute to do the project." the screen read.

"No. I want it done and out of my life. So tell me the parts you want to do."

Damon looked at me thoughtfully before grunting. He then started typing on his phone again before going around me.

I glared as he went to the exit, dismissing me. "Hey! I was talking to you!"

Damon stopped at the door and gave me a look. He made a head gesture to follow him before leaving.

What am I, his little follower?