Finale

It was the night of a new full moon. This was supposed to be the night when the girls took down Esther for good. It was all planned out, everyone would gather in the Moon Pool and the girls would distract Esther while Klaus used the remaining white oak stake to kill Esther. 

It wasn't necessary to have to use the white oak, but he insisted on it as symbolism. Once everyone was there, the plan was in full swing. Except... it wasn't. 

Since Bella wasn't on their side anymore, she was used by Esther as an inside agent and told her everything about the plan. 

That gave Esther time to prepare for anything. Except for what actually happened that night. 

The girls tried desperately to keep their plan working without Bella, but it was difficult when the enemy knew every step. Klaus had ended up with his neck snapped and laid silently off to the side. 

What no one expected, was the Moon Pool acting on its own. Strange tentacles rose from the water's surface and sat stationary for a moment, almost like a threat or a warning. 

"What's going on?" Bella asked, "Hayley is this your doing?" 

"No I- I don't know what's going on." Hayley defended. 

The tentacles remained their threatening stance. But one was turned towards Bella, standing eerily still compared to the others. 

"I know what's going on. The Moon Pool has figured out that you're a traitor! It's turning against you!" Rebekah snapped. 

"The Moon Pool is just a stupid pool! It's not alive!" Bella yelled back.

Just then, the tentacle twisted itself around Bella and knocked her unconscious. It kept her in its hold no matter how many spells Esther tried on it. 

She turned to the girls, "Help her, she's your friend!" 

"She was our friend. Not anymore." Rikki said. 

The tentacle tightened its grip and Bella began to fade in between water and mermaid. Klaus had woken up. 

"What's it doing to her?" Rebekah asked. 

"I don't know, but last time this happened we didn't let it go this far," Rikki said. 

"We were able to stop it before it finished what it was doing," Hayley added. 

Everyone watched as the tentacle held Bella above the Moon Pool in the light of the full moon. 

Then she became fully water, her silhouette was still visible, but there was no mermaid left/ Just water. 

Then the tentacle receded into the water, taking 'Bella' with it. Everyone waited. The Moon Pool was silent and still. Everything was quiet. 

"I hate to break it to you," Klaus said slowly, "But I don't believe she's coming back." 

Rikki let out a breath she hadn't even realized she'd been holding. Rebekah shook her head slowly. Hayley nodded so slightly that if you had blinked at just the right moment you'd have missed it. 

Esther stared silently into the Moon Pool.

"This... is not a gift. This is a curse." She spoke quietly. 

"How so?" Rebekah said, venom dripping from her voice. 

"You either stay faithful to the Moon Pool and each other, or you die. You're trapped, you can never be freed until you realize that and give up your power." Esther said. 

"It's not that hard to stay faithful to your friends. It made an example of Bella. We stick together. She didn't want to." Hayley spoke. 

"Are you saying she deserved this?" Esther gasped. 

"Yes. I think that's exactly what that means." Rikki said. 

A new silence passed over the cave. Nobody moved, nobody spoke. 

In the silence, Klaus slowly retrieved the stake from his jacket. He sped to Esther and shoved the stake through her heart. Using the last of her strength, she looked up at him and gave him a sad smile. 

"It was always meant to end like this, yes?" She said, struggling. 

He said nothing. She nodded as if she understood and her head fell. Her body relaxed. He moved out of her way and she fell into the Moon Pool. 

Rebekah let a single tear fall from her eye. 

"Why do you cry over her, sister?" Klaus asked. 

"Sometimes I remember what it felt like when she still loved us," Rebekah said. 

Klaus nodded. 

Esther's blood began to fill the Moon Pool. It set an eerie feeling into the air. Two deaths in such a short time, in the place they once called 'safe'. 

"This is so wrong. This is our place, our safe place. How could we.." Hayley started, she couldn't bring herself to finish. 

"It held such good memories." Rikki nodded. 

"Not anymore." Hayley sighed sadly. 

"Not anymore," Rebekah repeated emptily. 

"It feels awful being here." Rikki said, "I don't want to be here." 

"I wish things could go back to the way they used to be," Hayley said. 

"It was much simpler then." Rebekah agreed. 

"Come on, we should leave." Klaus interrupted with a soft tone in his voice. 

Rikki nodded, "He's right. Let's go." 

She walked out of the cave, followed by Hayley and then Rebekah. Klaus cast one last glance at the pool, filled with the blood of his mother. He broke his gaze and followed the girls back to shore. 

And that was it. 

It was all over. 

It was all... over.

A/N: this is going to be the last chapter of this story. Sorry if it sucked and sorry I took so long to get it to you guys. If you stayed and finished this story thank you so much and sorry it took like 1,000 years lol. Love you guys <3