Chapter 4- Cantikka

April 20, Central Calendar Year 1639,

Royal Assembly

Qua-Toyne

"Prime Minister Kanata." A politician from the Opposition called once they gave him leave to speak by the Speaker of the Assembly. "As you know, the purpose of this emergency session of the Royal Assembly is about what happened at Maihark. Can you tell this chamber what has your government unearthed about yesterday's incident?" The politician asked as his party cheered him on.

"We are currently investigating the incident that happened yesterday at Maihark." Prime Minister Kanata said in reply, and the entire Chamber erupted in jeers.

"Investigating? Investigating?!" the politician from the Opposition mocked as he stood up to speak. "Prime Minister. Ever since you have come into office after the elections, you have been investigating! Louria's aggression: Investigating. Coming close to being isolated diplomatically because of the machination of the Parpaldian Empire: Investigating. The Quilla Kingdom being, frankly, and with all due respect, useless on their side of upholding the integrity of the military alliance we have with them: Investigating! Prime Minister Kanata, when are you going to give this chamber and the people of this country some answers to the result of your investigation?!"

Prime Minister Kanata stood up to speak. However, he was drowned out by the long cheer his opponent got, and with a heavy heart, he had to sit down again.

---[+]---

Emerald Palace,

Qua-Toyne

"Well, that was fun." Prince Runsai Tsugoku said as Prime Minister Kanata sat in front of him, unable to meet his eyes. The sarcasm from the Prince was rolling out in waves. "I don't think I need to tell you that you have indeed dug yourself into a deep hole, Prime Minister."

"Yes, Your Highness." Prime Minister Kanata said with a nod, increasingly resembling a child facing a disappointed parent.

"Now tell me what you really know about the incident in Maihark." Prince Tsugoku said, and the Prime Minister knew this was an order.

"We... We know nothing." Prime Minister Kanata said in a small voice, and Prince Tsugoku leaned back in his chair before giving a deep breath. Prime Minister Kanata continued. "The only thing we know are the reports of the wyvern knight that encountered the flying thing and the wyvern squadron from the Maihark Garrison that had tried to intercept it."

"And... What have you done with that information?" Prince Tsugoku prodded.

"We're analyzing it. The Foreign Office has also sent a few secret missives to our Legations in the First and Second Civilisations if they could shed some light."

"Prime Minister... How long have you been in office again?" Prince Tsugoku asked after a few beats of silence.

"Around six months." Prime Minister Kanata replied.

"194 days. But yes, around six months." Prince Tsugoku said. "I think you remember what I told you when we met for the first time in your capacity as Prime Minister. I thought you were very brave in running as an independent and even winning the elections, despite that nasty scandal about your late sister that had broken out on the last day and severely robbed your projected majority."

"Yes, Your Highness." Prime Minister Kanata said.

"Frankly, I had been flooded by letters requesting me to not ratify your election and call for re-elections." Prince Tsugoku said. "However, I gave you a chance and invited you to form a government."

"I remember the faith you placed in me, Your Highness." Prime Minister Kanata said again.

"Yet here we are." Prince Tsugoku said with a sigh. "Your majority in the Royal Assembly is paper thin. If you didn't know it before, today's emergency session should have let you know."