Chapter 13: DNA

Y/N pov:

I had only been back two weeks but it already felt like I had never been gone, I was back into my morning routine of Sam waking me at an unholy hour, him dragging me out of bed and going for a run before falling asleep on the couch almost the second we returned. As per usual I would then be woken again by Steve with a healthy breakfast and then later tony would chuck some sort of sweet treat at my head to compensate for the boring healthy food cap had forced me to eat - though he still refused to talk to me after my confession on the Jet.

After that I would train with Nat and usually send a few death glares at Barnes in the process, this was one of the only things that had changed upon my return home - they were no longer death glares. Instead they became shy glances and winks across the room, secretly wishing we were training with each other as oppose to Steve or Nat, but I still hadn't confessed to him that I didn't think of him as some meaningless hook up, nor did he truly confess his feelings towards me - but on some level I think he knew how I felt.

I had resumed my small gossip sessions with Clint, my movie marathons with Peter and even me attempting to help Bruce in the lab before we both, yet again, discover I am utterly useless with science and have to leave. But we couldn't ignore the looming threat of the past for long.

I was in the gym with Nat, working my arse off to beat her. I had managed to beat everyone in a spar, even Steve and Bucky, but the one person I was yet to properly beat was Nat. We had called a truce a few times but I've never physically beat her. I was so close to glory, so close to finally beating her, when Tony came in and ruined everything.

"Sorry to interrupt, but I need y/n." Tony explained causing Nat to release me from her grip.

"NO!" I shouted in frustration, knowing that if it weren't for bloody Stark I would have won. I was just about
To have a go at him when I noticed his expression. He looked nervous, and Tony Stark never gets nervous (or at least he would never let it show).

"Watch your back Romanoff." I warned as I patted her back before walking off. Tony walked out the room, not waiting for me to catch up, so I didn't try to. I followed a few steps behind him till we reached his lab. He took a seat on the other side of the room and placed his head in his hand, running a had through his hair while I leaned against a table.

There was a pause, I didn't know why I was here, though I had an idea I didn't want to jump to conclusions, so I didn't know what to say, and I got the sense he hadn't exactly thought through his words. I sat patiently, not wanting to rush him.

"I want a DNA test." He boldly said suddenly, picking his head up to look at me. I didn't know what to say, and I think my shock and silence didn't help the situation in the slightest.

"Only if you want one too of course." He added, just as confident as ever, standing up and walking away from me to go grab something from his desk.

"I- yes. I'd really like one." I managed to stutter out.

"Good. We can do it now if you'd like." He said as he set up the apparatus, not even waiting for my answer.

"Sure." I said simply, eyes still a little wide, I was massively unprepared for this.

"Look Tony we still need to talk about this-" I started.
"We can talk if you're right, otherwise we're having a painful conversation that doesn't need to be had." He stated simply, not bothering to look up or stop what he was doing.

I decided not to argue, I was just glad he wanted to do a DNA test. I had spoken to Bucky about wanting one but didn't want to confront or pressure Tony.

Out of nowhere he pulled out some weird metal epi-pen looking contraption and jabbed it into his upper arm and pressed a button causing it to suck out some blood. He then took it out of his arm and held it over a vile and released the red liquid into it before putting a rubber bung over the top to ceal it.

He then walked over to me and held the contraption over my arm.

"It might sting a little." He warned. I gave him a look as if to say 'seriously?' To which he scoffed and replied with, "forgot who I was talking to."

I looked straight ahead, not so much as blinking as it jabbed into my arm. He repeated the process again with my blood before putting the two viles in a machine.

"I don't need you anymore, results should be out in about 6 hours." He said while pressing a few weapons. I nodded my head and said a small 'thanks.' Before leaving, not aware that Tony had finally looked up and watched me leave with slight sadness eyes.

Of course the first thing I did was sprint back to Bucky's room, almost breaking down the door to get to him.

"TONYJUSTASKEDMEIFIWANTEDTODOADNATESTANDISAIDYESANDWEGETTHERESULTSIN6HOURS!" I shouted quickly, out of breathe from both running through 3 different floors and forgetting to breath in-between words.

He looked up with me with wide eyes,

"Slow down. Breath." He said, trying not to laugh. I walked forward and slumped down on the bed and caught my breath.

"Now say that again." He repeated as he patted the bed next to him, indicating for me to make my way up to him. I climbed up and sat crossed legged next to him before re-explaining.

"Tony Just asked me if I wanted to do a DNA test, I said yes and we get the results in 6 hours." I said, feeling a mix of extremely happy and very nervous.

"Darling that's great." He said in a hopeful tone, still trying to read my face, clearly not sure how he should be reacting. I smiled at him, both admiring his kindness and his features.

"What?" He asked, smiling slightly.

"Nothing." I replied simply, a content smile on my lips as I brushed a little hair out of his face. We sat there for a minute, just staring at each other with huge smiles, two idiots falling completely in love. He reached up to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear before his palm rested on my cheek, his thumb slowly grazing back and forth in a comforting manner. I moved my face to the side so my lips were touching his palm, pressing a light kiss to it before reaching up and taking his hand in my own and resting my chin on our interlocked fingers.

He simply looked up into my eyes and that was it for me. I knew then and there, that I was 100%, completely and utterly in love with this man. He stared at me for a few more seconds before whispering,

"I think I love you." Whilst never breaking the eye contact. I somehow found a way to smile more, thinking about the fact that a few months ago I was prepared to murder this man, yet he was so kind, so funny, so intoxicating that just a month alone with him was enough for me to change my mind.

"I think I love you too." I whispered back.

"I knew you'd come around. Couldn't stay in denial forever." He smirked.

"Oh I'll take it back." I threatened while chuckling.

"Ah, nope, no take backs, you love me, you said it yourself." He smiled goofily, biting his lip slightly which if anything only made me love him more.

"Idiot." I laughed.

"Your idiot." He corrected me.

"Is that your way of asking me to be your girlfriend?" I asked as he shuffled closer and laid his head on my chest, me wrapping my arms around him.

"More so telling than asking." He laughed quietly.

"Ah I see. Well even if you were to ask, I would say yes."

"Sorry I want to be 100% sure. Y/n Y/m/n Y/l/n, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked dramatically, making me laugh.

"It would be my honour James Buchanan Barnes." I smiled.

"You're cute." He said simply before closing his eyes and falling asleep.

"Cheesy Barnes, that was cheesy." I sighed to myself, closing my eyes, deciding to take a nap too seeing as my DNA test results wouldn't even be in for hours. But as I was drifting off, my every thought was Bucky, my mind all consumed by everything about him, and how I finally had a shot at true happiness.