Chapter 3

Shortly after this comical 'argument', they arrived at the Faire, no doubt a marvelous sight to behold. Carnival rides like the carousel and Ferris wheel were whirring along, dotted with their typical lights but also with an ethereal golden glow. They were powered by , magic from the realm. The scent of fried food wafted through the air, causing Sam and Darcia's mouths to water, as their diets were not strictly meat. The melting of chocolate and spinning of cotton candy caught their eye as they stepped out of the limo.

Faeries with butterfly and moth wings glided around the place, ensuring the safety of their guests. These humanoids were particularly eerie. Those who ate primarily plants had their skin morph to the textures of said plants. The flesh-eating fae had skin that seemed fit for a normal humanoid... but they had dagger-like fangs as impressive as those within the mouths of vampires. Regardless of faerie, they had no eyes–only sockets, within which glowing orbs of various colors could be seen. Somehow, most could see everything around them, likely by magical means. Some were taller than six feet, and some were as small as large bugs, depending on the form they took.

Stomp... Stomp... Stomp... A gigantic humanoid made their way through the faire, towering at just a tad shorter than a giraffe. Their skin was the color and texture of cement, and they had somewhat of a gut jiggling as they walked. Impressive tusks, like those of a boar's, jutted out from the creature's lower jaw. Large rounded ears accompanied small beady eyes, and spines went down their back.

The humans cowered away from one of the fae realm's tallest creatures, an , though he seemed unbothered Mostly because there was an equally giant cone of cotton candy in his meaty hand he was munching on happily, of course. To humans that would listen, he shouted cheerfully, "Galumph help transport some! Just ask, just ask!" Some brave souls did... and, well, the ogre transport process was in full swing. Luckily, he was entirely harmless.

Anyway, the faerie hosts of the carnival were lively, doing spins and flips in the air as if they were seeing the world for the first time. Several faeries in their miniature forms fluttered around the new arrivals, excited chatter billowing through the air at the arrival of royalty.

"The king and queen have arrived! What a story, what a story!"

"Theirs is one of my favorite."

"The shifter's story is more interesting to me. More, I want to see more!"

The new arrivals exchanged glances and ignored the attention for now, answering several questions flung at them before a male faerie in large form flew in front of those taking on mini-forms at the moment, letting out a huff. He has deeply tanned tawny skin, a wispy black haircut, and glowing red orbs in his hollow eye sockets. His skin wasn't bark-like at all, rather, it was fleshy. When he spoke, they could see dangerous fangs showing his diet of flesh. "Now now. Let us leave the guests alone. Come along, darlings. There is much fun to be had at the faire, after all. My faerie friends will watch from afar to learn more of your stories." He wore a loose black robe, possibly emulating the grim reaper considering the scythe in his clawed hand. From behind him fluttered pitch-black moth wings with white stripes.

The other faeries grumbled and whined, but eventually dispersed, allowing Sam, Darcia, and their loves to finally have peace for exploring the faire. Darcia shot the faerie a grateful look, who gave her a nod. She said, "Thanks Nishakar. I owe you one." The faerie grinned, delighted, as Darcia bit her lip regretfully.

"I will remember that," he said in a sing-song voice. With that, he fluttered off. Darcia looked at Sam and shrugged; he wasn't a threat, given he was part of the host's crew, Gaelira. That faerie was on the side of Elapid simply because she liked happy endings to their stories. They thanked their lucky stars for that...