Chapter V: Lilian

Chapter V: Lilian

Lilian got back to the inn very late. As if insulting, infuriating, and being physically thrown out by his only client weren’t bad enough, just to make matters worse he got lost in the rain on the way back from the castle. It turned out, Renfield’s directions weren’t very good for the return trip. He tried to sneak in the door and up the stairs, as he really didn’t think he could face Maria right now.

Unfortunately, Maria noticed him out of the corner of her eye. “You are back!” she said with delight, not having really looked at her guest. Lilian froze on the staircase while Maria continued, “And so, how was your big business meeting?”

Maria looked up, and her face fell as she saw the bedraggled figure on the staircase. Lilian looked like a lost and frightened kitten that had just come in from the rain. One side of his hair was still in curls, but the other side was caked in mud. He wore no shoes or socks, as one shoe had been lost in his run to the car and so he had removed the rest. Likewise, he had removed his muddy jacket and the tie that had choked him, but his shirt and pants were soaked and covered in mud.

“Not… so good,” said Lilian, trying to smile and make a joke of it all, but breaking down into tears instead. Maria was with him in an instant, holding him like a lost child as he cried on her shoulder.

“There, there, sweet angel,” Maria said soothingly. “Didn’t I tell you? This too shall pass. Oh, look at your beautiful hair, and your blouse and slacks are ruined. You should go to your room and get cleaned up, then come back down for a good, hot meal.”

“I think I just want to go to bed,” Lilian sniffled.

“That’s a good idea, too,” Maria agreed, holding Lilian and smiling. “You have a nice, hot shower and get into your warm bed. But if you want any company, you just come downstairs, yes?”

Lilian smiled at Maria and nodded. Then he turned and ran up to his room. He had a long, hot shower, and washed his hair four times to make sure all the hairspray and curls were gone. Then he put on his pyjamas, climbed into his bed, and was asleep before his head could hit the pillow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Goodnight, sweet Lilian. 

To sleep, perchance to dream.

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come...

Two very short sections to finish off chapter V, so I published them both at once. I want us to get right back to the action as soon as possible! And yes, Lilian does dream, but there are no flights of angels to sing him to his rest...