16

"I thought it was quite nice," drawled Kessem. He rolled onto his back and patted the leather front of the journal. "And to think, it's all for this." The rickety old door of the house swung open. I lunged across the sidewalk to use my body as a shield to protect the journal and Kessem. I turned to see Jacqueline opening her mouth. I squeezed my eyes shut, afraid of what spell might escape from her lips.

"Silentium!" A rogue spell cast from Kessem. Her hand reached for her throat as she attempted to speak, but only silence fell from her thin crimson lips. An angry expression grew upon her face as she pointed her finger at him. I was still awestruck at the fact he had just cast a spell.

"How did—"Because of Sybil." He replied.

"Manere!" Kessem snapped again in Jacqueline's direction.

She stomped towards us in a rage, probably thinking of a million ways to torture us. However, her heavy steps were stopped with a powerful force called magic.

I continued to stare in utter shock. "Wh-why didn't you use that earlier?" Kessem chuckled before stashing the journal down into my cloak. We hobbled onward down the street as quickly as we could, before finally losing sight of the hazy house filled with a magical force. I was so glad to finally be out of that hell hole.

Kessem heaved out a sigh before answering my questions from earlier as we arrived at the train station.

"Everything we do has a magical consequence. I don't always have to use a spell, like you do." It never occurred to me that werewolves were also magically similar to witches. Part of me was envious of the fact they didn't have to mutter spells to see magic in action.

My stomach flipped at the idea of us taking a train to Salem, but Kessem insisted it would be the most efficient way. He leaned up against the wall, as people from all walks of life surrounding us rushed off to their destinations.

"Check the journal, what if there's another message for you?" He glanced down at my lap, where the journal rested. I hesitated, before opening it's pages and scanning, until my intuition told me to stop.

The book began to turn pages on its own. My hands flew up to my mouth, as we both watched in disbelief. The pages turned so rapidly, I felt parts of my hair flutter against my cheek. It landed on a new untouched page.

December 27, 1932:

I have since remarried, though I will never be the same. I wish my children to know I have always wanted them, and I have always loved their father. May the Unity heal our magical realm, for once and for all.

Dearest Zoe -
Listen closely to Joseph's descent. His intuition is strong. Though your intuition is right, we are often misled by our fears.

Sybil

I slammed the journal closed. I stared down at the concrete floor, wondering if I should inflate Kessem's ego by mentioning how she commented on his "strong" intuition.

"Well, what was it?" He crossed his arms across his chest.

I stifled a laugh as I said, "We should take the train. And she says you have a strong intuition." A smile etched across his face.

"She talked about me?" His voice rang with a streak of joy. I stood and placed my hand on his chest.

"Don't let it get to your head. Though I think it's far too late for that." I jested as we walked towards the ticket booth.

I brushed dust off of my cloak from laying on the sidewalk earlier. Kessem beamed his bright smile, one I hadn't seen for what felt like years. I peered down the line of people, just to reassure myself that we weren't being followed. Kessem stepped closer to me and slipped his hand into mine. I glanced up at him and felt my cheeks burn a warm fiery shade of red. He remained smiling, and squeezed my hand.