January 11, 1928:

Joseph and I have grown quite fond of each other. I enjoy our time walking. I am afraid of the rejection he could face from my own family. I do wish to bring him with me.

I believe I jinxed myself. My brother found us in the forest. I scolded him for putting himself at risk. He was hiding in the forest to keep his wife, Katherine, safe. He knew if he were away from their home, the werewolves would not ambush her.

He was afraid Joseph was holding me hostage, but I had to convince him that he meant peace and that we loved each other.

Later, as we slept, we were visited by vampires. Thankfully I was not victim their sharp fangs. Their bite can induce a mental fog, a bit of a trance, until eventually you change into one. Beware...

"Jacob!" I shook his cold body. He immediately tossed me to the ground. I rolled on my back, coughing.

My brother knocked the wind out of me. "What was that for?" I flicked the side of his head.

"Be quiet." His green eyes stared at the tent. I looked around, trying to figure out what he was so anxious about. After a long moment, I sat up. "No, Z!" He tugged on my cloak. Kessem walked out of the brush to approach us. Jacob gasped at his sight.

His mouth parted to channel a spell.

"Stop it." I placed a hand on his chest.

"But It's a werewolf, Z."

I nodded. "I know, and he's traveling with me."

Jacob fell back to the ground after I walked towards Kessem. "What have you done to her?" Jacob lunged towards Kessem. I stepped in between them.

"What is wrong with you, Jake?" I crossed my arms and stared at my brother. Kessem stayed silent behind me.

"I don't sense it, but he must have a spell on you." I shook my head.

"Jacob, he's from the same clan Sybil visited." I explained, referring to the family meeting we had before I departed. Jacob let out a sigh of relief.

"That's right. I completely forgot about that. I am terribly sorry," Apologized Jacob, as he bowed towards Kessem. He held out his hand. "I'm Jacob, Zoe's older brother. It's a pleasure." Kessem shook Jake's hand.

"Nice to meet you. My name is Kessem."

"So," I walked towards the tent. "What are you doing out here, anyways?" Jacob sat in the tent with us.

He looked at the ground. "I had to leave Olivia. I didn't leave her permanently, but she's safer with me away."

I blinked in disbelief. "You what? What if they kill her?" I covered my mouth.

He dusted off his cloak. "They won't suspect anything. She's an innocent bystander without a trace of magic." I recalled his wife Olivia's open mindedness. My family adores her. "I'm looking for a buried garnet. They said it'd be out here. It's for Dad. He wants to do a huge protection spell."

I furrowed my brow. "Does he think I'll fail?" Maybe it was far worse. Maybe the runes told him I wouldn't make it.

Jacob shrugged. "No, he wants a backup plan. My searching partners will be back soon. I don't want them to know you're here. I should get going, but I wanted to check up on you." I peered outside, on high alert in case they thought Kessem was a threat.

I raised a brow. "Who came with you?"

Jacob scratched the back of his neck. "Uh, well. I made a bargain with the Cleveland Coven. They're being ambushed as well." Kessem stirred uncomfortably. I sensed his anger about the werewolves attacking innocent people.