Something Lost Something Gained

Chapter Two;

I held my own neck between my fingers as I watched Natsu slam the woman's head against the ground. Her eyes flickered off like a broken light and then they turned back to an opal color. Her face stopped moving and she laid motionless. Natsu immediately rushed towards me, he almost tripped as he slid to my side. He seemed desperate to meet my eyes and see if I was okay.

"What did she do? Are you hurt?" He noticed the hands on my neck, and his eyes narrowed.

He touched my fingers softly, maybe afraid he would scare me. His touch could never frighten me, it was what soothed me. I allowed him to remove my hands and his reaction was horror. My neck had burn scars even though her hands were like ice. He traced his fingers over my neck and I flinched from the pain. The skin was so sore it felt like the worse pain imaginable.

"Can you talk?" He dared ask.

I shook my head. He sighed and glanced over at Happy who still slept soundly.

"I'm sorry, she pushed me back-" He started to say but it pained me to see him so worried and concerned, but to hear him feel responsible. It was a pain I couldn't handle.

He kneeled next to me so it was easy for me to put my hand up to his cheek. He stopped speaking and I shook my head again. I could not bare it if he put himself down like that.

"I don't understand, how did she do it?"

My eyes wandered towards her unconscious body and I wondered the same thing. Natsu held my wrist and helped me up, he didn't say anything more but I could tell what he was thinking. I followed behind him as he carried the woman to what I assumed was the guild hall. I held Happy in my arms like a baby, surprised he was still sleeping. He looked so incredibly peaceful as he dozed off and I was glad, perhaps she would have hurt him too if he wasn't asleep.

It was dark outside so I struggled to see everything. All I could see were the stars and the light that came off of Natsu's hair. Little lights were placed along the street sides and homes were lit from the inside. It felt so peaceful to walk down, so quiet and crisp. I found myself staring at Natsu's back, his shoulders, his arms. I couldn't help it anymore, my gaze naturally lingered along his figure.

When we arrived at the guild hall it was basically empty, except for the small lights that crept through the closed windows. It was strange to see it so dead, it felt eerie.

We walked all the way to the guild infirmary where hospital beds laid. Natsu placed the woman on one of them and she didn't seem to stir. I stood in the corner hugging Happy against my chest when Natsu turned to show me an expression. I am not sure the exact emotion but I could tell he was looking back just to know I was there.

He motioned for me to come closer but I didn't move. I was still afraid, I know it sounds stupid but my legs were stuck. He grit his teeth and walked over to me.

"Come, it's fine she's asleep," He promised.

I trusted him enough to nod and approach the side of the bed. Her eyes were now closed and her face looked pained and tense. Her skin was almost translucent, so pale that her blood stained her arms a light shade of purple and blue. Her dress looked to be in perfect condition and her hair was not even a strand out of place.

She was beautiful, that was obvious. She looked otherworldly. She held a strong aura about her. Then I noticed something strange about her neck—it held the same scar as mine, a burn.

I pointed to her neck to show Natsu, he just stood there confused.

"What?"

I stared at him.