Apocalyptic (AU Part 3) 🍋

Fuck, this turned bad quickly.

(Y/N) found herself staring down the barrel of a loaded pistol, aimed straight at her forehead.

Trembling hands were raised above her head, as if she was surrendering.

Who knew her ditching Xiao in an alley would end this way?

Silently cursing herself, she took a deep breath, her brain running a million miles an hour as she desperately tried to come up with the words to talk her way out of this before a bullet scrambled her brain.

"Listen, I didn't mean to waltz straight into your territory, okay? Why don't we just lower the gun and talk about this?" (Y/N) had no clue how she managed to keep her voice to steady when her life quite literally hung in the balance, just one click away from being over.

"Who are you?" The gruff voice questioned, not lowering the gun, but the question wasn't entirely a bad sign.

Maybe she could talk him down.

"Just a lowly freelance mercenary is all. I'm just looking around for some information, I promise I'm not planning on stealing any of your clients or causing any trouble." (Y/N) stressed a smile on her face, praying that her poker face was solid.

She'd had so much time to practice it back when she was Xiao's prisoner, she no doubt had it perfected by now.

Dammit Xiao, the one time I actually need you...

She'd even debated saying she'd ran with Xiao's old gang, but her luck, they'd be enemies and he'd shoot her on the spot, so she decided to go with freelance, which was actually the truth anyway.

"What information could you possibly be looking for on this side of town?" Skepticism was clear in his voice, dark orbs eyeing her up.

How awful it was that she didn't really dress like a mercenary either. She definitely didn't look the part, so now he would probably suss her out. It didn't help she had a quite pretty face, and it was so hard for men to assume a pretty girl had any type of backbone.

The man was probably wondering who she belonged to, and who he could get some money off of if he returned her to her owners.

"I'm looking for someone, but I highly doubt anyone here knows much of anything anyway. If you let me go, I promise I'll never come back to your terf again." (Y/N) tried to reason, flashing her teeth at him with the sweetest smile.

"Wait-" His tone changed almost immediately, his brows furrowing as he took a step closer, squinting his eyes at her now.

"Ain't you the bitch my guys have seen hanging around with Xiao? You run with his gang, don't you?"

(Y/N) didn't like his tone in the slightest. It masked bad intentions behind a simple question, trying not to possibly sway her answer and make her take the risk instead, unable to interpret which response was the one that would save her life.

FuckFuckFUCK-

"I'm right, aren't I?"

Her silence was taken as an answer, whether she liked it or not.

Stomach sinking, her heart pounded against her rib cage as a sickening grin spread across the man's face, and it had bad written all over it.

"Do you know how happy my boss would be if I brought him your corpse?" The man's voice hitched devilishly as his finger cocked the pistol, taking one last step toward her as he admired the fear hidden in her eyes.

This is the end.

This is really how it all ends, huh?

Swallowing the lump that had formed in her throat, she realized even running wasn't an option- he'd more than likely still hit her either way, even if he happened to miss the headshot.