Chapter Eight - The Betrothal, Part II

Author's note: Literally dreamed of this chapter.

°°°

°°°

Hearing Geralt's voice after so many years was thrilling. Celeste felt her heart pounding in her throat as she awestruck and turned quickly to look at the source of the voice. She needed to hear it again, she had to be sure it was real.

It was all in a split second, but in Celeste's head everything seemed in slow motion, Geralt's voice, the wind whipping at her back from the shock of the wall breaking, the air escaping her lungs as she searched for words, but they just wouldn't come.

She felt that a smile was about to grow, taking over her flushed cheeks and parched lips, but there was no time for her expression to change as the Basilisk, with the monster's wings throwing her away. Nikolai stood in front of Alma, protecting her.

Geralt was running quickly toward the monster, taking his sword from his back and wielding it in hand. His movements were precise and fast, besides, it was not the first time he faced a basilisk. Geralt didn't seem to care so much whether or not he survived to see the next battle, but to lose Cece after fighting so hard to find her? No, that was unacceptable, he needed to protect her.

What Geralt didn't remember was that Celeste didn't need protection, he hadn't seen how she had become a great witcher. He didn't know about all the monsters she had killed, how she kept a kingdom protected, how she without having the mutagens was still able to do what many witcher couldn't. But it didn't take much time to find out, since Celeste stood up in a leap and with her sword in hand, was already heading towards the monster.

Geralt couldn't remember the last time they fought together, but his body seemed to remember it perfectly, because every step he took, every move he made, seemed to fit perfectly with Celeste's, as if the battle was a dance, a dance they knew in their heads and performed to perfection. It made Geralt's slow heart beat faster and faster, remembering the true feeling of danger, excitement, and also anxiety. He didn't know how much he missed fighting beside her until that moment.