Summer Lovin' Camp

Tori's POV:

"... which brings us into the Main Hall where we always have counsellor meetings and extra events. Got that?"

I scribble something down into my journal before nodding. My instructor, Sarah, rolls her eyes before walking ahead, making my cordial smile drop. 

Day one at the Henderson's Summer Lovin' Camp and I've already managed to make multiple bad impressions. 

Thanks to Trina being Trina, I arrived twenty minutes late because she had to schedule a foot bleaching appointment right before dropping me off. That coupled with my clumsy self knocking over a tray of towels, I earned myself a line of nasty looks from the staff. Finally leading to my present - failing - attempt to be enthusiastic. I have a feeling it's only fueling Sarah's hatred for me as she undoubtedly races through this introduction so she can get rid of me.

"Outdoor activities for the West Wing are through that door. East Wing through that door. Enter the code 4798 and scan your lanyard for access," she's swift and unbothered when walking through the crowds of people who've emerged from the lift. Then she's pressing a button and I just about make it into the elevator before the large metal doors are slamming shut. 

Something tells me that if we get separated somewhere along this wonderful introduction, she's not gonna go around searching for me. The place is confusing enough as it is, let alone the skanky looks you get from the rest of the camp leaders, so I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can before I'm all alone. 

"I was told I'd be sharing a room with another camp counsellor," I finally speak up after staying silent for the past fifteen minutes during my tour. I tried introducing myself but she walked off to start right away, not even bothering to check if I was following her. 

Once again, she huffs, like I'm a nuisance for asking a question. The pit in my stomach, the one that had intensified greatly the moment I stepped foot in this building, starts to twirl and frolic for every exasperated huff she lets out. The doors open and we step out but it's awkward standing right in front of it as her eyes glue to the hundreds of names in her sheets.

After about a minute, she nods and points at something before speaking in her monotonous voice, "Right. West."

I write that down, then frown. 

"Wing?" I thought that was the activities center? Unless it extends for accommodation.

However, Sarah's - possibly eighth - huff of exasperation, lets me know otherwise.

"No, Jade West. Your roommate," she walks off down into the corridor where every subsequent door is identical to the last. My feet remain planted to the ground. Jade? There's no way Jade, my arch nemesis Jade, the girl who threw coffee on me Jade, the one who paraded about going to Canada with Beck only a few days ago Jade.. is working here.

There's no way.

"Your slow ass roommate's here," I hear Sarah say from the end of the corridor and I roll my eyes, dragging my stuff forward with only one thought in my mind. One desperate thought.

It has to be a different-

Nope. The second I've finally caught up to my instructor, I'm met with those very familiar, piercing blue eyes that belong to the one person I would hate spending time with more than Trina. 

"First leader's meeting in fifteen. Do not be late." She snaps her neck towards me and I frantically nod, hoping she didn't hear how hard I'd gulped. Her eyes are much more intimidating when they're so close to my face. She narrows her eyes at me but I keep my mouth shut, realizing just how dreadful this summer is going to be. Is it too late to call Trina to come pick me up? Would she really do it? Maybe if I begged. Or promised to be her servant again for a month. Yes, that is how desperate I am to avoid this.