(T/W Warning) Your Lie In April (Anime)

Note: There's a Live action as well but I haven't watched it so either it'll be added soon or in separate chapter.

T/W Warning: Abuse

Caution: Some major spoiler

Tiger parents.

A term that I'm sure people already know what it means. For those who don't, it means a parent who does strict (sparta style) training to kids in order to become 'perfect' or 'for a better future'. Yes, Asian parents (mostly Korean, Japanese, Chinese, South East) are the type that the word 'tiger parents' originated from, but it's somewhat a stereotype. 

Not all Asian family are tiger parents. Maybe majority are, but that's based on person to person. Think of like 'Karens'. Not all white people are Karens and if they were then we would have seen them everywhere. Literally, everywhere

Your Lie in April is one of an anime/manga that's popular to the audience back in around 2011-2015. 

During that time, I never watched this masterpiece, so it's a good thing Netflix led me to see before they'll remove on March 1st.

In all honesty, it was like watching Honey and Clover but instead of college and art, they replaced with pre-teens and music. The thing I question is the portrayal of abuse topic. While it isn't glorifying, there are some episode scenes that makes me wonder why add in the plot if abuse is gonna taken lightly.

Plot

(From Wikipedia) Fourteen-year-old piano prodigy Kōsei Arima becomes famous after winning several music competitions. When his mother Saki suddenly dies, Kōsei has a mental breakdown while performing at a piano recital; this results in him becoming unable to hear the sound of his piano, even though his hearing is otherwise unaffected.

Characters

Kōsei Arima - The main male lead of the anime. He always let his friends push him around (even by force) but when it comes to the girl whom he suddenly has a crush on, he takes the courage to face his fears at a slow pace.

Kaori Miyazono - A free spirited violinist girl that even her illness can't stop the bundle of energy she has. Despite she's dating with Kōsei's friend, her heart is actually to Kōsei as they've met a long time ago.

Tsubaki Sawabe - Childhood friend and next-door neighbor with Kōsei and also the school's softball team player. Tsubaki acts like a older sister to Kōsei, and what seems like her feelings remains that way, eventually that changes as she struggles the realization that she's actually in love with him.

Ryōta Watari - Another childhood friend of Kōsei and the school's soccer team player. After setting up by Tsubaki, he and Kaori are a couple. However, it doesn't prevent his ways of interest on other females (both same age and adult).

Pro vs Con

Pro:

- The classical music

- Showing each characters' story

- Fighting against the trauma

- Encouragement of pushing the challenges

Con:

- The (slight) handling of abuse topic

- Neglection

- Ignoring signs and events of the abuse

Overall result

While I understood why this show is popular and the manga earned an award, it still really bothers me how everyone ignore the signs of what Kōsei is going through. In some episodes we see bits of the mistreatment his mother displayed while the later half showed the sweet side. I had so many questions in my head while watching the anime and it also made me a bit mad. 

1. Why is that Kōsei's dad always left him behind alone in the house? Yes, he's a businessman who usually travels around but the mother was ill, so would that mean the mom's friend had to babysit their boy? And how is that he did not notice his wife's aggressive behavior to Kōsei?

2. Having two houses real close to the point where they can see through the windows, Tsubaki seem to have forgotten or never realized the bruise mark, trauma, and the high pitch shout from his mom are connected to his fear of playing piano in front of a crowd. I do admit, she was like around 5 years old(?) when Kōsei had the mark and the shouting could mean any reasons, but to know his avoidance with the music hall and love of playing the piano could at least give an indication his mother is the whole cause of his suffocation.

I also was disappointed how none of his friends asked what led to the trauma. While pushing a person may be good to fight back up again, it's also sad how (in a way) they're a bit selfish instead of respecting Kōsei's choice. Though I have no hate at them, just really disappointed. 

3. The most frustration part of all was the confession from Kōsei's mom, her friend didn't tried hard enough to prevent the tiger parenting method, and the bystanders in the music hall. 

No matter if the parent has an illness or a 'good' reason, it never justifies to damage your kids. Just that Kōsei is slightly well and able to move on, his mom and dad are the antagonists in the story. It's kind of surprising how people love to gossip but in Your Lie in April, not a single person ever remembers the event between Kōsei and his mom in that building. No wonder the judges and his rivals are indifferent.

Though, despite me ranting, the story was a good slice of life. 

Stars: ⭐⭐⭐(insert half star)

Share your opinion about this series in the comments or Inline