Chapter 4 (2/2) (END)

"So? Who wants their fortune told first? What do you want to know? I know all because the crystal ball tells me. I can answer any question that you have," the woman asked, making strange motions with her hands around the glowing ball.

"I want to go first!!" Cade exclaimed. "I want to know whatever you know!"

"Ah yes, of course. My crystal ball is telling me something... Inside it, I can see... A time long ago... Thousands of years maybe. There's magic and supernatural creatures... Two races are at war... One race has a powerful darkness, the other wants to control it... They manage to find a spell... A very special spell with a surprising weakness... But they don't believe the spell can be broken. Even if it is, they're experimenting... with what?" The woman gasps. "With their own race! This experiment will have an effect on the far future... But it's their last savior who may be able to control the darkness if the spell is ever broken..."

Cade looks mesmerized as she tells the story. But I am disturbed. It's as if... she's telling my story.

"Now... the present time... the race that experimented on one of their own... that experiment still exists... It's inside you, my dear boy. Your ancestor was the first." The woman then looks at me. "And you... Although they believed that the spell could never be broken, you managed to find the weakness... The weakness they never imagined would be exploited... The weakness that is love. Ah, my crystal ball has gone dark. I can't see any more."

I felt very disturbed. How did she know? How did she know that I had a spell put on me? And is that what happened? My love for Cade finally released me...? Or is she just telling a story that sounds oddly similar to a real situation?

"My ancestor... was experimented on?" Cade asked.

"Yes. You have probably noticed that you're a bit different than the average person. How you use that power will either satisfy or torment your ancestors."

"I... I may have used it wrong once... But I vowed to never use it for evil again."

"Very good. You're a good person. You've learned your lesson. So you will always be a good person from here on."

Cade looked like he felt touched by her words. I just felt very uncomfortable. I grabbed his arm and pulled him up with me.

"We're leaving."

"Wait, Silas...!" Cade protested. I ignored him and pulled him out of the tent.

"Your darkness has lessened. I hope it stays that way, king of vampires." The woman's ominous words made me feel a chill. But I kept walking until I was far away from that tent and that strange woman.

"What'd you do that for!" Cade says when I finally let him go. "That was amazing! Isn't she amazing??"

"She knows too much. And I don't know how she knows it. I don't like it," I say.

"That just goes to show that she isn't a fraud like I thought she was going to be! I can't believe I met a real fortune teller!"

"...You have a vampire before you."

"Well yeah but..."

"Let's go home. I don't want to be here anymore." I begin walking away, wanting to leave the whole carnival behind.

"I can't get over how amazing that was!!" Cade said as he followed.

I didn't really care if my identity as a vampire was revealed, as long as no one tried to kill me. Even then, I would be able to protect myself so I'm not worried. But slaughtering humans would have made Cade hate me. I don't want that. I just want to live peacefully as we have been. So I just hope that that fortune teller leaves us alone...