2

It's been a year. A year without Kasen. Nothing else had really changed. Kiah's parents were still fighting all the time, and Cassie and Kiah still weren't on speaking terms.
Kiah didn't have many friends, she spent her summer taking adventures with her dog Toby. Tomorrow was her first day of senior year, it was bittersweet in a way. She was almost done with school, but she lost Kasen and Cassie in the span of a year.
It's the night before her last first day of high school, Kiah's pacing her room talking to her reflection and Toby.
" Ugh Tobes I don't know what to wear."
She goes through multiple outfits all of which end up on the floor of her room. Then there's a knock at the door.
" Come in" she says throwing on a hoodie...correction, Kasen's hoodie.
Her mom walks into her mess of a room to talk to Kiah about what's gonna happen tomorrow.
" Hi sweetie"
" Hi mom"
" We need to talk" Melanie says " me and your dad are divorcing, and I'm gonna fight him for custody"
" mom I'm almost 18 you don't need custody, i'll be an adult"
" Yes sweetie I know but your dad isn't a good person so if I can keep him away from you I'm going to" she explains " Oh and you should wear your cheetah print romper with your black platforms"
" The outfit I wore that night with Kasen"
" Yep. It was a special night for you, and I always liked Kasen"
" I know mom" Kiah gives her mom a hug and heads off to bed.
The next morning she wakes up early enough to curl her hair and actually get ready for once since Kasen's death.
Kiah got to school around 7:45, she sees Cassie who gives her a small wave. She was surrounded by hundreds of people but Kiah had never felt more alone.
First block was Math with Mr Owens. He's been friends with Kiah's family for years considering he was Cassie's step dad.
Kiah found a seat in the back of the classroom so she could avoid all the whispers about Kasen and Kiah's mental breakdown. Like it happened a year ago why are people still hung up on it. So what Kiah had to stay in the psych ward for a month, big whoop.
Finally second Block english. She walks in and her eyes land on the new kid. He's tall, athletic, Bright blue eyes, with dark brown hair, and his smile was perfect.
" Kiah you're gonna sit by Blake the new kid"
She walks over and takes her seat.
" Hey" Blake says
"Hi"
" I'm Blake"
" Kiah..."
No, no, no, she can't move on from Kasen yet...can she? She knew Kasen wanted her to be happy but she loved him with everything moving on was gonna be tough.
" So Kiah what are you like?" Blake asks
Just then Cassie walks in and sits right behind Kiah.
" Kiah's quiet, shy, she talks to her dog more than people, oh and she's a whore"
Kiah whips around to face Cassie " Says the one who was pregnant with my dad's baby"
" Whoa drama" Blake exclaims
" For your information my baby will be no where near your father, or you."
" Wow classy"
" I know I am. So Blake would you like to get coffee after school?"
Blake looks at Cassie then at Kiah " Kiah would you like to get coffee after school?"
" I would love too" Kiah gives Cassie a devious smile.
" I'll meet you in the commons after school"
" sounds good"
The rest of the day goes by so slow until finally the 3 o'clock bell rings. Kiah goes to the commons area to find Blake but she runs into Cassie.
" Oh hey..."
" Hi." Cassie says " I'm sorry.."
" I know" Kiah walks over to Blake leaving Cassie in the sea of students.
Kiah and Blake went through a Dunkin drive thru and just drove around.
" Hey can I show you something?"
" Sure" Kiah replies
After about a 15 minute drive, they end up on some back road Kiah had never been on. Blake pulls over on the side of the dirt road and points to an old building.
" Do you trust me?"
" Do I have a choice" Kiah giggles
Blake takes kiah's hand and leads her into the old building.
" Blake what is this"
" an old house" he tells her " i come here to think or when i need peace"
" oh makes sense"
" yeah my parents aren't on very good terms right now"
" hey same" Kiah laughed " i'm sorry laughing and joking is how i cope"
" don't apologize i do the same thing" he smiles " so Cassie actually slept with your dad"
" yes" Kiah laughs
they stay at the old house til dark, just talking about everything. Kiah opened up about Kasen, the wreck, her psych ward stay, all of it. at the end of the night Blake stood up and pulled Kiah into a tight hug.
That was the first time Kiah felt safe since Kasen's death. Her mind was finally at peace.