Author's Note and Acknowledgments

• Dedicated kay Don Tinio Losentes

This story was inspired by the tragic case of Henry Gustav Molaison, popularly known as H.M. to those studying biopsychology and related sciences. Growing up, Henry struggled with epilepsy which then eventually came to a point where his medication was of little help and has to undergo surgery. During his time, the procedure proved to be effective in relieving patients of their seizures. In an attempt to cure him of his epilepsy, his hippocampus, parahippocampal gyrus and amygdala were surgically removed (the procedure was called a bilateral medial temporal lobectomy). At first, doctors thought they had solved the dilemma but then it took a toll on his memory, he then suffered from anterograde and moderate retrogade amnesia.

Henry's case paved the way for new theories regarding brain function and memory, his contribution to cognitive neuropsychology still celebrated today. Near the end of his life, Molaison regularly filled in crossword puzzles. He was able to fill in answers to clues that referred to pre-1953 knowledge. For post-1953 information he was able to modify old memories with new information. For instance, he could add a memory about Jonas Salk by modifying his memory of polio.He died on December 2, 2008.

I came across his story while reading my copy of Pinel's Biopsychology. It inspired me a lot that I felt I should do something in his memory, and thus Benjamin Reid and his grandson came into existence. I hope the story touches your heart as it did mine while I was writing it, and I also hope it changes the way you look at your own memories and what you make of life as a whole.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

A thousand thanks to Nathanael McDaniel who polished up my words(especially my grammar) and made it more of a gem that it is now. To Don Losentes, who believed in me more than I believed in myself. He is the kind of friend every aspiring writer should have. To Ida Suangco, Janine Dimaangay, Janelle Macasieb and Alyssa Manuel who shared with me the love of stories and storytelling.