-Chapter 9-

I stood, frozen in my tracks, as I feel the cold mocking stare on my back. I don’t dare meet him eyes. I don’t dare look at this man.

I hear his footsteps on the hardwood floor as the come closer and closer to me. I flinch as his hand comes down on my shoulder and he quickly spins me around so he’s in front of the door.

“Why are you in here?” he asks, crossing his arms and frowning. I don’t meet his green eyes.

“I-I’m sorry,” I stutter and try to push past him, but he turns around.

“Wait.” Drake whispers, grabbing my wrist. I yelp loudly in pain as his grip becomes too tight. I pull my arm away. I stare down at my shoes and ignore his confused stare.

“Ainsley, right?” he asks, his gaze becoming softer and kinder as he tries to meet my eyes. I nod, just barely.

“Listen, Ainsley, I just want to apologize. I’m so sorry for everything I said. I didn’t know how…poorly it affected you. I don’t—“

“Forget it,” I frown and whisper gently. I look deep into his jade green eyes, “I get it a lot.” I gently rub at my wrist.

Suddenly, Drake grabs my hand gently and pulls up my sleeve. I pull away, but not before he sees every scar and I see his face. I look away and squeeze my eyes shut, expecting a screaming or a very loud lecture.

But nothing happens.

Not a sound comes out of him.

I slowly turn my head in his direction and I see him pulling a book out of a bookcase. When he opens it, he doesn’t expose any pages. Just a hole. Filled with sharp blades.

“I do it too, believe me. You’re not alone.” He closes the secret book compartment and puts it back in it’s spot on the dusty wooden bookcase.

He then pulls up his owns sleeves and exposes more scars than mine.

I impulsively grab his hand and pull it all the way up to his elbows, but even more peek under the thin fabric. I gently drag my fingers along each scar and every word carved into his arms.

He chuckles softly, “There’s more. If you wish to see them.” He gently grabs the bottom of his shirt and looks into my eyes, almost asking for permission. I nod slowly, watching his hands grasp the dark blue fabric of his shirt and pull it up.

There were more than a thousand scars on his chest alone. His gorgeous muscles were almost covered by every scar on his body.

I quickly look up into his eyes and almost shock. His eyes have become brighter as lust has taken the place of anger. Trust has taken the place of hatred and love in place of annoyance. I can’t even look away at the beauty of his eyes.

I don’t even notice we were leaning in until I can feel his sweet breath on my skin. I can feel the heat radiating off of his body as his lips are inches away from mine.

He slowly moves his lips to my forehead and gently grasps my hands. He pulls up my sleeves and examines my scars, fresh and old. I almost blush a soft pink as he presses those rosy pink lips to my wrists.

He mumbles something so quiet, I can’t hear him.

“Tu pulcher es.” He repeats, smiling at my confused look, “It’s Latin.”

He drops my hands and smiles as he starts to walk towards me. I back away, but I realize I’ve fallen into a trap as my back is pressed up against the cold hardwall. His green eyes, filled with a deep lust and desire as his hands gently settle on my hips. I can my heart beating fast, the adrenaline pumping faster and faster through my body. The smell of his strong cologne fills my nose. Yet they also remind me of someone. I can’t seem to remember who though.