Reina Rodriguez

"Reina! It's almost ten in the morning! You need to wake up! You are the only one in the village sleeping!" My Mama Rosa yelled through my bedroom door. I told her that I would be down in five minutes and thank God she believed me and walked away. 

My name is Reina. Even though my name means Queen, my Mama is still the boss of this house. But I am the Queen over my three siblings. They may not admit it, but they would drive my Mama crazy if I wasn't there.

Waking up was the worst part of the day. Leaving my warm and soft red silk sheet bed was agony.  I had to do it though. I do not want Mama to throw ice water on me like last time.

I wouldn't admit it but there were days where I hated going out in the village. The men would start acting like a rabid putas when they lay their eyes on me and the girls would avoid me as if I was Diablo himself. But I try my best to avoid them and focus on the important things. 

And in my life, there are only three important things. Family, obviously. My mama and three siblings Sara, Mariana and Alejandro always come first. Then, faith. I never left Mi Casita without saying my prayers. Lastly was fun. I swore to myself that I would never go to bed angry. Instead, I would go to bed happy and always tired from all the the dancing I did under the moonlight.

"I miss you Papi" I said as I looked down at the photograph of my papa on his wedding day. Next to him was his best man and best friend, Pedro Madrigal.  I was only a newborn when they passed away. My Mama told me Papa and Pedro were kind, loving and brave men. When Mama told me and my siblings the story of what they did to save the family and the village, we never forgot it. 

I finished putting my makeup. I strapped on my heeled sandals and strutted out my door. Ready to repeat the process of Family Faith and fun all over again. Once I walked down the stairs of Mi Casita, I entered the kitchen and there my Mama was with her best friend, Alma Madrigal. I walked up to her and gave her a tight embrace. "Senora Alma! What a nice surprise." 

"Hola Reina. You look absolutely-"

She paused her sentence and looked me up and down. Mostly at my short dress and bold makeup. "Beautiful toady." I know I was the only girl that dressed like this, but I did not care. As much as I love and respect Alma, her words and differentiating opinion will never phase me. 

"So what's the occasion? " I asked. "Have you forgotten your siblings birthdays are today? Alma arrived to help us set up since you were busy sleeping." Oh my God. I almost did forget. I am officially a terrible older sister. "What gifts do you think they will receive Rosa?" Alma asked. "If it is anything like my Reina's, it will definitely help the village" said my mother looking at me with pride in her eyes.

Yes. You heard that right. When my father and Alma's husband sacrificed themselves to save all of us, Alma's candle shaped and formed the Encanto and Casita and Mama's candle created our home. My gift was fire.

 I almost burned down the hallway but that was years ago. my job is simple but important. Light and heat up water in the homes of the village. I keep them warm during the cold winters. Hell, we had no hot springs before me. I do admit I like to show off and entertain the village at times. My flame breath is a classic move that makes the crowd go wild. I absolutely love it. 

My Mama couldn't be prouder. Over the years, she has lost her ability to see but that has never stopped her from being the strong, independent woman I have grown to love. She knows the way around the Casita and the Encanto like the back of her hand.

"Where are the three rascals anyway?" I asked. "They should be coming home from school about now." Said Mama. "Perfect. What is on my to-do list?" Mama looked to me. "The lanterns need to be lit for tonight and the hot springs need to be reheated."

"Great. I'll be back soon." 

As I made my way to the hot springs, I noticed a confrontation in the village. A small crowd was circled around one of my old schoolmates house. I couldn't hear her but she was yelling at Bruno Madrigal. The only one who could see the future. I don't know why she was a having a screaming fit but that reason became irrelevant when I saw her slap him across the face. Horrified by the assault, I rushed to Valentina. 

"What the hell is going on!?" I yelled as I pushed her away from Bruno. She grabbed my shoulders and looked at me with her tear-stained face. "Reina! I don't believe it! I just don't believe it!"

"Believe what!?" I asked in frustration. "He killed my goldfish! Yesterday he told me it would die, and now my goldfish is dead!" I took her hands off of my shoulders and stared her down with anger. "That is the worst excuse for hitting someone I have ever heard. Didn't your mother tell you to stop overfeeding him!? Maybe it wasn't a prophecy. Maybe it was just a warning." 

"Why you puta!" Valentina started to barge toward me and I immediately created a circle of fire to prevent her from coming any closer. "Enough Valentina! This is my siblings day, do not try to make it about you!" 

I took Bruno's hand and we rushed away from the scene.